Homeschooling for the first time.

I plan on homeschooling my baby girl when the time comes and i need advice and how to's from anyone who is homeschooling their child. I dont know what i need, and what i should do about finding out the laws and stuff about homeschooling. My father-in-law would like me to homeschool his son as well cause the school he's being sent to now is troubling. He's not happy with whats going on and he would like to homeschool him, or for me too. I would love to home school my children i just need a few tips on how to get started. Please if you know anything about it or are home schooling your kids now, let me in on it. Thank you.

- Tiffany

Tmehiar

Asked by Tmehiar at 12:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Join Happy Homeschoolers here on cafemom. Also check out HSLDA for websites for each state.
    Above all. DO NOT SPEND A TON OF MONEY ON CURRICULUM. For the first few years you will be able to get almost everything for free online. Also, if you find something you really like, ask on the group usually someone will sell it to you cheaper. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Welcome to the world of HS. I am also jumping into that endeavor this next year. We are moving to a not so desirable school district and I really dont want my kids there. My challenge is that my kids are 11 and 7 so they have had a few years of school already on them. According to their state standarized tests and report cards, they are quite ahead of the game, so thats good to know. My oldest is 15 and hopefully will be attending a private christian school in the fall. I feel super unequipped to HS her because of her love of social activities as well as her honors placement. She needs other people. As far as getting started, I think I agree with Susie about not buying too much cirriculum because they are so young. I would however see if you can find cirriculum that you like and maybe just get pieces of it. I love ABEKA for that age group. I think I will be using ACE though. Good luck to you and me both.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2009