young woman, 8 brothers! WHew!

my daughter, is 15 years old. she never gets away from the family because we are constantly traveling, i have 8 boys, and 2 daughters, so she's not alone, but might as well be, my other daughter is 3. my 15 year old is an average, young woman. including body changes, she's had her period since she was thirteen. being on the road all the time has taken its toll on her she has NO privacy, and she is embarassed (like when she changes her pad and has to dispose of it, ex..) i dont know how to help her! please anything will help!

brentlymom

Asked by brentlymom at 12:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Besure and let her know that it's all normal, I just tell my daughters to besure to wrap it up in t-paper before placing it in the trash can.( my poor husbant lives with 3 of us woman and he's the one that takes out the trash.) That helps them alittle
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I didn't raise such a large family, only a son and a daughter. But I'm having trouble figuring out why your teen girl does not have basic bathroom privacy. And when the family is traveling, all she should have to say is she needs a bathroom stop. She doesn't need to explain why she needs to stop. And as to disposing of the pads, wrap them and put them in the trash.

If the brothers are making comments about her having her period, you should instruct the boys not to say such things. That's disrespectful of them. After all, menstruation is normal and simply a part of being female. She doesn't make comments to her brothers about morning erections, I'm sure.
    divinity80921

Answer by divinity80921 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• One further thought. For a few months when I was in high school, I lived with my best friend's family. The mom, bless her heart, was pretty neurotic about a lot of things, but one thing she insisted upon might be helpful to your daughter. When it was time to change a pad, we wrapped them in paper, put them in a paper bag and tucked the paper bag into the laundry hamper in the bathroom. Since mom was the only one who did laundry, she was the only one who had any way of knowing it was that time of the month. At the end of the cycle, take the bag out to the trash.
    divinity80921

Answer by divinity80921 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Go and get a small trash can with a lid (the kind that doesn't open completely for you to throw things away). If she's using that and wrapping things in toilet paper, that will help. Also, have yourself, your husband, or your daughter be responsible for trash duty. If it's your daughter, you might have her be responsible for trash duty all through the house so she doesn't feel attention is being drawn to her about it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• this is crazy...you &/or your husband should be talking to the boys about their behavior toward their sister. how old are the boys anyway? and as a woman how can you not find some way for your 15 yr old daughter to have the privacy she deserves? wondering why the family travels so much to not be able to have privacy when it's needed for EVERYONE not just your daughter? offer her your full support (your hubbie should too) & find a way to make thing easier for her. you remember what it was like being a teen girl dont you? do something about the privacy thing ASAP. is there any way the family could not travel so much? having other girls her age around would be a big help to her i think so she knows its normal, not just her. Good luck.
    3Dani75

Answer by 3Dani75 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Talk to your boys, and have everyone be open about it. In my house we talk openly about it.

MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009