Has anyone taken Metformin & what was the dosage of what you took.

Okay so my dr. put me on Metformin 500mg today, he said that it has been shown to help with getting pregnant. I was wondering if anyone has taken it & how long it actually takes for you to get pregnant.

BECKYBEAR0507

Asked by BECKYBEAR0507 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my doc. put me on that 4 three months...because I had PCOS, and had very irrregular periods and me and my husband were trying to concieve. It had some not "so good" side effects like I had diareah (sp?), for the whole three months, I couldnt hardley eat without it running through me...some mild stomach cramps, and I lost 30 lbs. while on it. Which was okay...not complaining. But it wasnt all that bad, b/c I was willing to try it to finally have a baby.

It did work, in making my periods more regular...but I am still trying to get pregnant. I got off in March, so Im still trying
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i got pregnant within the first 4 months...
    i have pcos and was taking it to help regulate my periods
    i started at 500 and went up to 1000
    im back on it, to try for a baby again this time... so far it has been 2 1/2 months. nothing yet.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• hi i was on metformin in 2004 an became pregnant in 2005 with my first son an i am now trying to get pregnant again so i started back the medicine i started out with 500 then it was taken up to 1000 what ever you do,do not stop taking them you shall be pregnant before september the medicine helps you ovulate also good luck.
    sexylady35

Answer by sexylady35 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I take metformin for PCOS. The first time I was put on it, I got pregnant within the month. This time around I am having a harder time, but there are some other circumstances affecting it. Metformin does help, but you will probably have loose bowels while you are on it. Oh well, loose bowels feel better than constipation I say....LOL

I take 850 mg twice a day, so that is 1700 mg a day. The only problem with it is that I have been sick with stomache issues so I stopped it for a couple weeks because I was already having potty issues. My doc said he understood though. He said some people can't handle being sick and taking metformin at the same time.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009