tattoos while pregnant/BF?

is it safe? what do you think? this is a hypothetical question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• The greatest risk is infection and the risk of bloodborn disease. However, a lot of women experience more sensitive skin while pregnant so tattoos are generally not recommended, regardless of the cleanliness of the facility. I know several artists and *none* of them will tattoo a woman who is pregnant and I only know of a couple that have been willing to tattoo a BFing woman.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 1:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Omg I was wondering the same thing, my bf and I were scheduled to get a tattoo next month and now I found out I'm pg. I'm waiting to speak to my doctor.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Pregnant no way....I don't know anyone that will tat a pregnant woman.
    Now breastfeeding, some think it is ok. I don't know about that. I wouldn't
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's not necessarily awful for the baby according to my doctor, but it will not heal the same and will most likely be a waste of money.
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm not sure, I have several tattoos but I was never pregnant when i got them done.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i think the greatest risk involved in either is infection. but with proper care, infection can be prevented. however waiting is always better than taking the risk. but i've personally gotten tattoo'ed while BF. i read that the ink isn't transfered into the milk. but like i said, weigh out the consequences.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The greatest risk is infection. I will admit though I did get my first one when pregnant. But I had JUST found out I was pregnant. I literally took a home test the morning of the tattoo and I didn't want to forfeit what I had put down as a down payment. So I lied and said I wasn't pregnant because if I wouldn't of taken the test I wouldn't of known. However, with pregnancy they also fear what the trauma of that much pain does to the baby. But with BFing the only risk is infection. I plan on getting my second tattoo while BFing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2009