Hemophilia?

I recently cut my two month old's fingernails. I accidentally nicked him with the clippers and he started bleeding. He bled from one small cut for over an hour. I just recently found out hemophila runs in every male on my husbands side of the family. Does anyone know anything about it or how they test for it? Is there anyone here who has a child with hemophilia?

Mrs.Wasson

Asked by Mrs.Wasson at 1:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

• Don't know about hemophilia but,at the age of 28 after giving birth two my 4th serious bleeding complications arose.They had to give me frozen plasma to clot the blood and save my life.Unfortantly,it also clotted in my right leg and my baby was five months old when I had a stroke from a clot going to my brain.I then started seeing a hemotoligist who descovered I have Vonwilliebrands desise which is kin to hemophila.Bleeding disorders are understudied don't you think?I was 28 and had had 4 children and nearly died before someone notice something was wrong.I have had bleeding tendiences all my life starting with very heavy periods.Yes,if I get a cut like your baby I will bleed for a while just like that.I am missing a blood clotting factor in my blood that's why the cut keeps bleeding it dosn't clot.I do know that bleeding disorders are heridetary so,take him to a specialist.I have to have all 4 of mine tested :(
    cfrye29

Answer by cfrye29 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know that only the mother can pass it on, so it probably wouldn't matter if all the males have it (unless they are his brothers) Maybe you can have him tested. For cuts that won't stop bleeding, I hold pressure with a tea bag (like Lipton) to help it clot.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Shes right, Hemophilla can only be passed from the birth mother, so if you don't have hemophilla than it's not that.But,like I said Vonwilliebrands is more common.Hemophilla is a mans desiese,very few woman have it.Vonwilliebrands is equally common in men and woman.
    cfrye29

Answer by cfrye29 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Actually, the gene can be recessive in females. It could be in my family and I wouldn't even know it.... It's more likely for a male to get it than a female.
    Mrs.Wasson

Answer by Mrs.Wasson at 9:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009