ADVICE Please

i had my baby on friday the 22nd and i'm breastfeeding, i would like to know if i breastfeed from one breast more than the other breast it will be more bigger than the one i don't give him, because my right breast have more milk than the left but the baby grabs more the left one

Milindus

Asked by Milindus at 1:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should be alternating which breast you start one each time. I don't know for a fact that it makes one larger then the other. I do know we all tend to favor one side. The one less nursed on will simply (eventually) make less milk.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• One will be bigger, my friend breastfed from one side, and left boob is Huge right side is tiny....literally two cup sizes...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh, and congratulations!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I had my baby the same day...congrats....you need to feed your baby equally on both sides or one side will produce more and be bigger then the other
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 1:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Just try your best to alternate breasts, you don't have to have it down to a science. It's normal for one breast to be slightly larger than the other. Go BFing mama! Lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Try to alternate but expect lopsidedness. That's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Its not just which one is bigger, its which one feels fuller. One side might get engorged and hurt because its too full. Try starting on that side if your baby usually refuses it. If the baby still refuses, try pumping from that side to relieve some pressure. We did that for a few weeks and gave the milk to DS from a dropper. Or you can freeze it for later.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 5:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You should let the babe eat their fill from one side (we will say the right) during a feeding, change diaper or otherwise wake them up a little and let them eat a little more on the left side. Next time start on the left side and eat their fill and then have a little on the right. Your child and you will probably favor one side, but in the beginning you want to try and make sure you are getting supply established on both sides. It will make a difference in size if they eat primarily from one side and not the other, but that is not a big deal. It is very normal for one side to be larger then the other even before you have kids though so no biggie. I used to put a hair tie on my wrist to remind me which side I was to start on each nursing session since my baby brain always seemed to forget.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• you can also pump the side that your baby uses less and freeze the extra milk for future use.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009