How can I get my son to take a bottle

I have been breastfeeding for the last 3 months but I have gone back to work and I need him to take the bottle. He just cries. I've tried 4 different types of bottles and nipples. Any advice would be great.

wheatmeatchips

Asked by wheatmeatchips at 1:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Are YOU giving the bottle? That is the problem a lot of the time,. Just hand him to someone else and LEAVE.

When they're truly hungry they eat.

You can also try a sippy with the spill proof valve removed. Caregiver tips the cup, baby sips the milk. He's more than old enough for it...you can use this feeding method with a newborn.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You just have to keep trying or like the other PP said, have someone start giving him the bottle until he gets used to drinking from the bottle, he will get used to it but it may take some time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yeah, i agree with the first poster. It's very hard if your giving him the bottle or if your even in the room! The baby smells you and thinks "boob time!" LOL I've been thru it twice. You need to leave early in the morning, and stay gone for most of the day. Hope your hubby is ready! It's not easy, but it will work. When he gets hungry he will try it. I had to even soak the nipple in hot water first so it wasnt so fake felling of coldness. I also got the formula to my body temp. 98.6 and checked it with a thermometer. Your hubby, or who ever you get to feed the baby needs to be calm and have lots of patients. Just keep trying. If your going to send the baby to a care giver, you may ask them to do it. Start off in the morning so you know they are hungry. Mine wouldnt take it untill 6 or 7 hours went by. I was worried, but she finanlly took it!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Babies really need mommy, its better to give him breast, its very beneficial in many ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Its also very beneficial that mommy pays bills so we have somewhere to live.
    wheatmeatchips

Answer by wheatmeatchips at 3:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2009