11 week old pup and humping

we have a 11 week old male pom, well the last day or two he has been trying to hump my leg, and if my 2 year old daughter crawls on the floor he will go after her what do we do??/

MammaSherry

Asked by MammaSherry at 1:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

• This is a dominance issue.. he wants you to know he's top dog, and you're damn well not... LOL, Kinda funny with a pom though.

Roll up a bit of newspaper and when he goes to humping, swat him. Not hard. It's really the sound that startles them and they don't like it.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My puppy humped anything that moved until we had him neutered. Even AFTER the surgery healed (he wasn't humping ANYTHING during the healing process (smile)) he continued to hump stuffed animals but he stopped after he was about a year old. He's cool now. I'd say the rolled up newspaper swat will let him know that it's inappropriate.
    Storeylady

Answer by Storeylady at 8:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree with the rolled up newspaper entirely....in fact, was just talking to the vet about this yesterday regarding my mini pinshcer. It is a dominance issue....as soon as you let them know that they can not dominate in the manner they are looking to, they will move along to something more interesting. I have had to use the newspaper several times today....so I'm not sure how long exactly this type of training takes. Hoping it's not too much longer....my other dog is gonna be SO much happier once this issue has passed.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 3:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have a 2 year old lab terrier that use to hump my leg and she is a female. We had her fixed when she was old enough and she still loved to hump never stoped actually until we got a 5 month old mixed breed who spends her time humping my lab. I just call it karma for my lab (Chloe) but the vet told me that she humps to show dominance. I have no good advice except to let you know your not the only one.
    hannahsothermom

Answer by hannahsothermom at 4:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• say ah ha, sharply and move away. You are the supposed to be dominant.Watch It's Me or the Dog. I love Victoria Stillwell.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If its excessive you can have a 'sin bid' to put him in. Everytime he does it and you saying ah uh doesn't working, lead him to it and leave him for a few minutes then when he stops whining let him out. He'll eventually associate humping without being put away without contact and he will stop. Atleast it worked on It's Me or the Dog. Never had to do that myself
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009