Where to take kids this summer??

I am a single/working mother of 9(girl) and boy(7) from Los Angeles. All these years, I would put kids to summer camp, and never took vacations with them more than 2 days. This year, I want to do something special with them, ( not those theme park trip but something more earthy and adventuous. May be 3 days weekend trip to the lake? Driving up to the Big Sur? Do you have any good suggestions??

monamom

Asked by monamom at 1:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Travel

• There is tons of stuff to do in California. I agree with the theme park thing. I was just there and my day on the ocean was amazing. Maybe you could take them to Tahoe. I'm sure there is tons of family stuff to do there.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have already been to most of theme parks around here and San Diego, and it is way too commercial and full of over hyped materiasms.Horse back ridings and boating, hiking sounds good to me. We all need to be in touch with natures to slow down and be away from civilizations a bit!! Thanks for your answer. I will look into Tahoe for sure!!
    monamom

Answer by monamom at 12:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Oh, if you weren't on the West Coast, then Greene Country NY would be the perfect answer! So many places to choose form and activities to even keep the kids busy so YOU could relax!
    Perhaps there are places like our all inclusive family resorts close to you?
    NYFamilyFun

Answer by NYFamilyFun at 10:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009