What exactly is Paganism?

I looked it up but hardly understood it. What do they believe in? I'm so confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• But we who call ourselves Pagan reguard ourselves as a part of nature and hold the aspects of Mother Earth in high reguard. We worship many Gods/dess or dedicate ourselves to one or many. We identify with many pantheons or one. There is an old saying "ask 12 Pagans to define Paganism and you will get 13 different answers"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• That could be because definition of Paganism is any religion that is not Judeo/Christian, one who does not worship the God of Abraham.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Roughly Paganism is any belief system that is not Christian, Jewish or Muslim. Athiests are also not Pagan because they do not believe in any God/dess or higher power. Pagans often believe in multiple Deities, Gods and/or Goddesses. This is called polytheistic. Pagan is an umbrella term that covers all these religions and belief systems, but in North America today it is primarily used to refer to Neo-Pagans, a new age, nature and Goddess based religion related to Wicca and Witchcraft.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Sorry to correct you Pagan Mama but there are Atheist Pagans. Lots of different branches of Druidism don't consider which Gods you worship or whether you worship one at all to be important to your "path". Only following the ethical guidelines is.

OP, there are many, many, different kinds of Pagans. You'll have to look at a specific Pagan religion if you want a set belief system.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 11:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I used to think I was *just* an atheist... I come to discover that I am an atheistic eclectic pagan with elements of satanism... hehehehehehe no deities for me. But I *revere* Mother Nature and our Earth. The web or circle of life is the ruling force of the world for me, and science is how we are able to explain it.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It also includes Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, and all of the indigenous shamanistic/tribal religions of Australia, Africa, and North and South America. The modern definition of Paganism is basically from the point of view of Jews, Christians and Muslims saying, "anyone who doesn't believe what we believe."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• While Paganism is technically anything that's not an Abrahamic religion (Judism, Christianity, Islam...) I am thinking that you were looking for an answer about what those of us that generally call ourselves Pagan believe. Many of us answer the question "What is your religion?" with answers ranging from just Pagan to Eclectic Pagan Witch to Eclectic Pagan Witch w/ a pull to the Celtic Gods... Each of those answers can have any number of beliefs tied to them. Generally when you find someone that belongs to a spacific path, such as Wicca, They will simply say "I'm Wiccan". I do not fall to any one path but I am Pagan and I do practice both ritual and daily magick, so I am also a witch. This makes me an Eclectic pagan witch.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• In general those that call them selves Pagan in stead of Buddhist or Taoist fall in to categories like mine. None of us believe the same as the others. But at the core out beliefs are similar. I would feel free to say that we all believe in Gods & Goddesses, many or few. Some believe in one energy that is both and others believe there are more than we could ever imagine... 

We also tend to share the belief that the earth is a special gift and that it's our job to care for it and respect it. We all mostly hold a belief in Karma, and some reincarnation.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• In truth if you ask 12 different pagans what a pagan is you will get 13 different answers. The best general Pagan artical I can send you to (because there isn't really enough room here) is http://www.paganspath.com/magik/pagan.htm If you read that it should make some sence to you. It's all really general and very well written. I would also encourage you to look around the site and see what else you may learn.

And if all fails keep asking questions!

www.cafemom.com/group/endreligioushate

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Satanism
    Anonymous