Pregnant student? Oh baby!! lol

So I'm about 5 weeks pregnant. I did the math and turns out I'll be in the middle of a semester at college when its time to give birth. Is it possible to stay in school and fully focus during your last weeks of pregnancy? I'm already preparing to have to take at least 2 weeks off which I'm not concerned about but its the weeks before that which I'm a little nervous about.
Are there any student's out there who can tell me of their experiences?
Thanks a lot.

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 2:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ask for your work ahead of time and when they have to be turned in to make sure also talk with your professors to see if they can work with you i dont want to worry you but being that there is a chance baby can come early or that you may be put on bedrest for the last month or so you want to have a long period of time covered for so that you have room for spontaneous medical things make sure also to bring this all up as soon as you start so that you can make any arrangements necessary instead of springing it on professors last minute good luck mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• :D So weird being called mama, I hear that now and I like start grinning uncontrollably rofl... thanks for your input... I might have to call financial aid and see what will happen if I take that semester off. Its my first time in college so I have a lot of question asking to do. :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My sister was in a weekend Masters program when my nephew was born. She had a C-section and only missed one weekend of classes. So yes, with proper planning and support, it can be done.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You could go to class. I took two semesters off when I was preg. I was so caught up in him I didn't care about class. THen I wanted to be home with him for the first few months. I don't regret it most of the time...but now that I have two semesters left adn my son is 18 months, I wish I hadn't take the time off because then I would be done now. If you decide to stay in class, make sure you sit down with each of your professors the first week of class and let them know what is going on and when you are due. They will usually work to accomodate you. Last semester there was a girl who was due around finals so the teacher let her take hers early.
    If you decide to take time off when you get your bill to start repaying your loan just contact your provider and tell them your situation adn they will put off the payments so you can get back in school.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 8:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'd say finish school before you have your kid, if possible. As the mother of a 3 mos. old, I can tell you, there is no time for anything else. Newborns take 110% of your time, so if you can stick it out, finish before you give birth. I work full-time and worked full-time up unitl the last week of my pregnancy. I would have worked up until labor, but I had some complications and was hospitalized the week beofre I delivered. It's a little uncomfortable, but not too bad, plus at the very end of your preg. it's hard to sleep so you can get some work done at night. Seriously, finish before your kid comes because you will not have the time or energy to be in school.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I was in a class in my second year with a girl that had her baby in March. I think what she did was work with the professors and work ahead as far as she could, and when she returned, she was only slightly behind. She made it up pretty fast (I don't know how, though! I can't imagine trying to breastfeed and study @ 3am!) and she passed the class. If you worked with all of your profs, then maybe you could pull it off the same way!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I started school when my son was just about 3 years old, so don't listen to the people who tell you that it's too hard with a kid. I missed him, but I was fine. I did have to plan on taking more time to finish school than I would have if I weren't a single mom, but that was okay too. Now I am pregnant again, and due right in the middle of the semester, and honestly, I am not sure if I will be taking a semester off or not. I plan on nursing exclusively, so I want to bring my baby to class with me, I know a couple professors who are fine with that, but there are a few I will need to discuss it with as well. I also have to take into consideration that I may not want to make the hour commute there and back everyday when I am 9 months pregnant. Then I will also be thinking about the sleep deprivation of a newborn, combined with upper level classes. It IS totally doable, but there's a lot to think about too!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the responses guys... I'm up for a rough and bumpy road but hopefully whether I take the semester off or not, I'll make it through college :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. I just took the next semester off. I'm all set to start back again next year, just pushed my transfer date back. I'm transfering from my 2 year college to my 4 year college right now so it was the perfect time to take a semester off.
    bekfish84

Answer by bekfish84 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm there. I'll just be starting my next semester when he's born. I went to my "connection" (family friend who is head of the college English department) and we agreed it'd be best if I did a few online classes so I can be with him for a few months yet still be on track with my degree.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 4:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009