irritated.

alright, well i worked tonight.. and like theirs like 8 people pregnant where i work.. and one of them the youngest one.. pissed me off okay she's like 2 months into the preg. and she's smoking.. i know alot of women do it.. but why would you that? dont you know your harming your child..

i guess my question is.. any moms on here do that? if so why? is it bcuz you cant stop smoking or what?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 5:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This really irritates me too. There are like three women that I work with that smoked during pregnancy or are still doing it. It's really annoying to watch them harm their babies and then be all excited about their new baby. It's hard for me to be over joyous with them because I secretly despise their out right harming of their baby. I know I'm lucky for never becoming addicted to cigarettes but if I was, I'd quit if I got pregnant. The babies should be the most important thing on every mom's agenda.
    winginit

Answer by winginit at 5:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't care who you are if the ciggettes make you so sick that you can smoke then it's a lot easier said then done. I'm a smoker and i tried everything when i found out i was preggo to quit and it's not as easy as it sounds. My child was 9lbs and healthy as could be. So for any of you women that don't smoke you can say if i smoked i would quit, that's a lot easier said then done. Yes cutting down is easier. I'm not saying that it's right to smoke when your preggo all I'm saying is you don't know how hard it is. I'm not proud of the fact that i smoked with my child but hey i tried the best i could and she thank god has no problems.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well, yes, Its probably because A. she doesnt realize the effects. and B. shes got a serious addiction. Usually a mom can overcome addiction temporarily if she really understands the consequences on her baby, but like you said...shes young and she might not know. How about trying to educate her and help her. Ask her if she wants to quit? Being that youre both pregnant, maybe you can be her accountability partner or something. Im just suggesting that instead of judge and criticize, maybe try and help. If she doesnt want your help and seems like shes fine doing it, then theres nothing you can do. Its still her call whether shes right or wrong. All of us have done something that another person probably felt was wrong, but we do it anyway. Its very hard to quit smoking. One of the hardest addictions to kick. Ive never smoked but I have had issues with addiction and until youve been there (dont know that you havent) you dont know.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well, pregnancy actually helped me with my cigg addiction! Me and my baby's father BOTH smoked, but My MS was real bad, and the smell of cigarettes made me want to url all over the place, at first I didn't know why, but than I found out I was pregnant, and just stopped. And now my MS is gone, but I HATE the smell of cigs ugh.
    T.Mod

Answer by T.Mod at 8:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I smoked until June 27th of 2008. Thats they day I took my pregnancy test. I had 4 left in the pack and smoked those and that was that. now she is 3 months old and I am still going strong!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i know i am gonna get bashed on this one but i smoked through both of my pregnancies! slowed down alot but i did smoke with both of my kids! neither one of them were underweight, born early, unhealthy.....NOTHING! i am not saying this as just an excuse but my doctor told me to slow down but not to quit completely because quitting cold turkey would not only stress me out it would stress the baby too much and i might miscarry. my kids are happy and healthy just as any kid whose mother didn't smoke! i just did what my doc said and i still smoke today. not around the kids but i still do.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree with you! I get so irritated, upset and full of assumptions when I see women smoke that are pregnant. I've never smoked, and I never will. Every women makes that personal choice, but I feel like when you decide to get pregnant it should stop for the sake of the baby. The only conclusion I can come up with is some women are lucky enough to not have any issues even when they've smoked throughout their pregnancy. The common thing I hear why they don't quit is it's addicting! But, I still have alot of judgement about people that smoke in general. I know it isn't right. All I can do is focus on that my baby will have the best environment possible. I don't smoke or have a desire too! And I know I'm doing right by my baby!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i smoke i tried to quit i couldnt do it, my sisters all smoked when pregnant and so did my mom, and all there kids are fine and i went to the dr and they said everything is fine and he told me not to quit it will stress the baby out. so im not. i know alot of pregnant woman that smoke, who cares. if you dont good for you. doesnt make us any less of a good mom, so mind your own buisness.
    mommy2be1308

Answer by mommy2be1308 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• okay, so i wasnt saying any woman that does is less good mom than one that does.. i was jus wondering..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009