how come other people think they can raise your kids better than you can? especially the ones with no kids

how can i confront those people without hurting their feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well i was shopping for shoes one day for my daughter and the lady that worked in the store came over to ask if i needed help and i told her no thank you shopping for shoes, Well she went in to this huge tanget on how i should get these shoes for my daughter cause you have support there ankles when they learn to walk . I just turned around and asked her if she had children and her answer was NO and then i told her if your gonna have to support the childs ankles then we should have knee braces as well and my daughter has been walking for a few months she just needs new shoes but thank you for all the help you did'nt give. I was in a payless shoe store. So yes i know what you mean and it pisses me off to. You can politely point out the fact that they don't have children yet and if they don't know what there talking about.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Because other people without kids are experts...You didnt know that?? LOL...Just kidding. I dont take too many opinions of people I dont know, but with family...You just gotta ignore them. Dont try and defend yourself. I have had to jump in before and say..."hey, everyone, I ve got this under control." When my child was doing something that she/he needed to be disciplined for. I simply removed them from the situation and handled it privately in the bedroom. I dont like others to get involved and now that our kids are older, it has stopped. No matter what another person thinks, I am still going to handle it how i see fit. When I was younger, I didnt take as much initiative to stand up for myself because I really wasnt sure if I was doing the right thing. Now I understand that it doesnt really matter if I am. I make the best call possible becasue I am the mom and its my child. The older you get, the less it will happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I am afraid I used to be one of those people.

Before I had kkids I was a teacher and thought I was an expert on kids.

I would tell parents during parent teacher conferences how they should deal effectively with their kids.

Now I am a mom, I know parenting is hard, and how you relate to each one changes daily, based on their emotional needs and situations.

There are times I have no clue, and some times I just have to pick my battles in dealing with my kids.

I have been cornered by strangers at stores and other public placed, being told what I am doing wrong as a parent.

I used to welcome comments, but I am less tolerant of being told how to raise my kids.

I am the mom, I know my kids best and what is best for them.

I have changed so much since I had my own children.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Ugh! I wish I knew! I have a special needs child and a toddler, and I can't tell you how many times I get advice from people who don't even have children (never had them). I usually just ignore them, especially with my oldest. Sometimes I try to educate them, but most times I just smile and walk away.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009