falling asleep with baby in your arms

I'm a first time mom. My baby is 9 days old. I have been bed ridden since birth because I separated my pelvis during birth. So getting in and out of bed is impossible by myself. Luckily, my husband is here to help. He helps me out with everything like bringing the baby to me for feedings. To get to the point, I was feeding our son tonight and fell asleep while breast feeding. As a result, he fell off of me. I screamed in fear and started shaking with guilt. Luckily he was not harmed because he fell right into his vibrating baby holder that is really cushy. Luckily, it was right below me. Actually, he didn't even wake up. Anyway, guilt is consuming me and I can't sleep. I feel like a horrible mother. That's why I'm up at 3am when I should be napping with baby. Can anyone relate or share a similar story? Has anything like this happened to any moms out there? All I can think about is the what if's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh man, yeah I did that..

I fell asleep with my youngest, she didnt fall, but when I woke up, she was upside down!!! I was also packing her once, into my mom's house, and somehow fell right onto their porch... I had protected her with my shoulder but I felt so bad, I cried for days.

Alot of us have done similar things... it's alright hon
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Don't worry about it! We all fall asleep with our little ones and mine have fallen (not all of them, but it has happened). When I nurse in bed I nurse on the side where baby is on the edge first. Then I switch to the side where baby is in the middle. That way if I fall asleep the baby won't fall. If you are nursing sitting up in bed just turn your bopdy or position yourself so if your little one does fall, it will be into the bed. You will still wake up and everyone will be fine! Chances are you won't fall asleep that deeply very often! Relax, go back to sleep, and get sonme rest. Congrats on your new little one and I am praying for fast healing!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Ya it happens. Your not a horrible mommy so pls get some rest. I hope you feel better soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• every new mom does things that in her mind it is so horrible, me i was walking out of my sons bedroom, he was in my arms asleep, and as i was walking out of the door, i accidently hit his precious head on the frame of the door, he didnt cry but he did make a boot lip, which is just as bad as a cry to a new mom... you baby wont hold it against you...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh your poor thing! what a horrible labour and now this but take my advice and let go of the guilt. Things like this happens and thank goodness it wasn't serious. when our dd was 8 weeks old she kicked in her bassinett which was sitting on the ground with pillows and it rolled over with her in it. IT wasnt far and she didnt seem to notice but it scared the living day lights out of me and made me feel so . But I had to forgive myself and know that nothing i did was wrong. And she was fine

Also a ped once told me that they are better off faling when they are babies because they bounce whereas children try to stop themselves

You body actually releases hormornes when you're breastfeeding that make you sleepy so ease up and take care. Get all the rest you can and take care mumma. Maybe try breastfeeding in the middle of the bed so that ifyou fall asleep they will be on the bed or lying down on the side
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh after my baby was born I was so exhausted (3 DAYS of labor!) that I fell asleep with him in my arms a lot. I'd fall asleep with him in his basenet next to me and wake up holding him. It would freak me out! Try to set something up so that if you do accidentally fall asleep your baby won't go anywhere. Sit on the bed with a boppy pillow or something so that he can't fall. Don't stress too much about it since baby didn't get hurt. I know it's hard and you feel horrible. All moms do this I think (fall asleep in the first few days from exhaustion).

When my son was only a few weeks old my husband came home from work and laid on the couch with our son on his chest. I wasn't in the room, I was in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher. He didn't mean to fall asleep, he was just exhausted from being up at night with us and then going to work. Anyway, our son slipped off of his chest and landed on the floor! I was freaked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Get a Nursing Nest so you can nurse laying down.

I used one in our bed (between me and a Safety First bed rail) for my second and it was Great! http://www.bonnybabies.com/nursingnest.htm

Also, you can use a Moby Wrap/Mei Tai to nurse your babe hands free.

Dr. Sears on Co-sleeping http://www.askdrsears.com/splash-newsletter-specialoffer_A.asp

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Also, we both "dropped" our son off the couch as a babe and he was reading at 4years old, can climb like a monkey, and build like McGyver.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Hope you've let go of some of the guilt since reading these ladies posts. With my second I fell back asleep in bed after feeding her. She didn't and I woke to her crying as she crawled right off the bed. Racked with guilt, horrible feeling and I vowed to never do it again. Well a few months ago my 3rd baby fell off the bed, again I fell asleep and she didn't. Her older brother and sister were with her when she fell. Both girls are fine and survived. I've let go of the guilt because I'm doing the best I can.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have fallen asleep MANY time while nursing-he is 17 months old and still do....now he has never fallen but he did roll off the bed once. I knew he was starting to learn to roll and yet I turned away for a second...and he fell on his face. He was 8 months old. I cried harder than him. Once we went outside he immediately stopped crying.

Your baby was not hurt so dont beat yourself up. Your hormones are running crazy too. you nned your rest so you can heal. dont worry Mama you are doing great.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009