Have you ever filed a lawsuit against a vet?

I took my little miniture dotson to the vet two days ago... and he allowed her to die. He wanted money upfront (i got there at 8:20am) so I got $300 for a deposit and got it there at 10am... they told me theyd do xrays and call me with the price of any surgery (she could not breathe... she fell off my bed and it hurt her bad).. i called at 11am they said he hadnt done anything yet. Again, my pup couldnt breathe... they had her on a heating pad. Thats all. He called me at 1pm to tell me she expired but he did her xrays and her diaphram had busted, letting her other organs into where her lungs were, which suffocated her. He didnt do anything. She was there from 8:20am til she died at 12noon. Was he wrong?

Gremlyn

Asked by Gremlyn at 6:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

• sounds like he is very wrong what was so much more important then your dog that was'nt breathing?! Im sorry for your loss.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Money was important. She fell at 7:30... I went straight out the door without grabbing anything... hell, I hadn't even combed my hair. Saw my kids off to school and rushed out the door. He saw the pup, said he thought it was her lungs and he'd have to reinflate them. I asked if he could do that and fix her, he said yes. So I shooed him off saying "well, go do it, shes my baby"... I was bawling in there. He told me "Im gonna take her back, you go talk to the receptionist."... well, I walked out of the exam room and she told me he needed a $300 deposit. So I told her I needed her phone and I had some family bring my money and I told the lady I wouldnt leave just so theyd know I was serious about paying. I thought they were fixing her... I found out at nine thirty they hadnt done a thing because they were waiting for money. I was waiting for the stupid bank to open... cont
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• and said to hell with it and had my brother run me to the bank... I got back at 10am to give them the 300 dollar deposit. I asked to see Rosie first (that was her name) and I kissed her and told her theyd fix her and Id be back for her. The nurse told me to go home and theyd call me when he knew what he had to do and theyd give me the price of whatever it was. So I said alright and I left...I called at about 11am out of worry and she said they hadn't done anything yet... I was pissed of course but I asked if she was still alive and she said yes. Then I waited. The vet himself called me at 1pm and said "I was calling about Rosie.. yes... she has expired"... man, it was like a kick to the chest. I couldnt breathe. They were supposed to do surgery and fix her... he promised. I asked him "can you fix this, save her?" and he said yes, he could.
    It was so wrong... I feel so horrible... and I miss Rosie... she stayed with me 24/7:(
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would like to believe that your Vet at least examined your Rosie and didn't just leave her unattended in a cage. All animals must be stabilized in triage regardless of funds being paid as this is part of the oath we take. We must make animal comfortable but do not have to treat until funds are available. It would be tough suing as you have no real proof of what transpired when you left the clinic or what the Vet did/ or didn't do. As tough as this is for you it is a case without merit.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• cont: As a Vet I would have to ask why your Dachshund was on the bed. Anyone familiar with this breed (and you should be prior to purchase/adoption) knows that Dachshunds, or any other long backed breed should not be put anywhere they can fall and quickly injure themselves. This equals owner neglect and makes you the contributing factor to Rosie's death. If you had been knowledgeable and responsible Rosie would not have required that fatal trip to the Vet. As the owner and caretaker for Rosie, you need to assume some responsibility in this situation.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• sorry but I agree with the above poster. She shouldn't have been up high any investigation of long back breeds will tell you they should not jump down from high places or run and jump.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I was sitting next to the bed in my computer chair, she fell asleep on my lap... so I moved my blanket and made it into a cradle/nest (like I always did) and put her there, covered up... I'm guessing she needed to potty and tried to get down before I could turn around... And trust me, I do take some responsibility for her death, I feel so guilty that I didn't catch her, that I put her there to begin with... trust me, I'm crushed. But I think he should have done more. And they told me themselves they had her on a heating pad to stabilize her temp, it had gone down.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 9:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• u guys r horriable its not her fault what happened...my friend has 2 doxins and she lets the climb every where and she hasnt had any problems like this. ive also owned lots of small breeds of dogs. yea they r frail but the same thing could of happened to a bigger dog...if he would of jumped off the bed and landed wrong he could of done something to his back, legs, or hips....geez light up people...im sorry for losss but it seems to me it was a freak accident
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• To rainmommy: Sometimes the truth is not always pleasant . Before you spout off, educate yourself in long back breeds as you know nothing with the information you posted. Dachshunds and other small breeds are not the same and Dachshunds are prone to disc and vertebrae damage. Furthermore just because other dogs have no problems does not make it smart or correct to put your companion in the same position. Dachshunds are not frail dogs but rather susceptable to a particular injury due to owner neglect. They have short legs for a reason.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 12:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• SaraColbert: are you a fucking idiot?? she HAD THE MONEY, JUST HAD TO WAIT FOR THE BANK TO OPEN.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009