Where can I get frontline or advantage flee medicine? And what have you dont to get rid of them on your carpet?

I have two inside dogs who have flees and one has ticks. The hartz brand has been a huge waist of money cause it doesnt work, were at the end of our 2nd package of three and everytime we apply it to our dogs it doesnt work. The vet recommended frontline or advantage does any one know where I can buy it and how much it is for a 20lb dog and a 60 lb dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

• advantage is really exspensive but u can usally pick it up at the vets office. i dont like hertz drops either i almost lost my cat a long time ago bc it was to strong for her and it caused her stystem to go toxic. my vet said to use a flea shampoo that has a high concentrate of pyrythrin...that is the chemical that kills fleas....for a temperay fix u can use dawn dish soap. as far as getting them out of the carpet...raid makes a spray in a purple can that is safe around pets and childeren also a flea powder that u can sprinke on ur carpet everytime u vaccum or once a week this the only product i like from hertz it really works for that purpose
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank you for responding, I actually used the foggers made my hertz and it worked really good cause were not getting bit any more but even though it said it treats for up to 7 months I worry since we have two dogs now that it might over power the foggers and bring back flees. The doctor told me that it would cost $20 for one month supply for my bigger dog and that was the frontline but I was wondering if I can find it cheaper any were else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You have to get the Frontline or Advantage from your vet.

We had fleas really bad a few years back and they pretty much disappeared after we treated the animals. We didn't have to do anything to the carpets...just vacuum.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• nope..thats really cheap...where i live its like 40 a dose for a big dog and 20 for a small dog...as long as ur dogs keep going outside they will continusly bring in fleas no matter how many times u treat ur carpets...u also have to treat ur furniture bc when u treat the carpets thats where the fleas go to hide.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You can get both from your Vet or call 1-800-Pet- Meds. They'll deliver it right to your door.
    Getting them out of the house is harder. You can set off a flea/tick fogger while you and family and pets are away from home for a few hours, but i'd ask the vet about the safety of that first.
    Good Luck.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We use 1-800-pet-meds for both our cats and dogs, I think its fairly cheap... at least cheaper than what the vets wanna charge.
    I also use that purple bottle of flea powder for the carpets. I bought it at wal-mart and petsmart. I only used it every 3-4 weeks and it worked great!
    The dawn dish soap works good too for a little bit but I wouldn't use that all the time.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 11:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• petrx.com is cheaper than 1800pet meds.I used to pay 65 for 3 doses for my cats. I got a pack of 3 for 40 on Pet Rx.
    You can get single doses from you vet or 3 mos supply at Pet Co.

The Raid frea spay in the purple can does work well for the carpet and so does the adams carpet powder.

Good luck. Fleas are a PIA
    Noahsmama1206

Answer by Noahsmama1206 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• for your carpets, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! If you have a vacuum with bags go ahead and throw the first one or 2 in the first day or 2 away. The more you vacuum the better, the life cycle of the flea allows them to almost constantly hatch. I think sometimes during flea season I vacuum 2 to 3 times a day and it really does help. vacuum your furniture everywhere you can too, fleas are boogers and will hide anywhere they think they can :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• ok so i had a flea infestation about 6 months ago. i found tha tif you use Borax (the laundry booster) its a lot cheaper and safer. sprinkle it all ove rthe carpet and furniture..let it sit a few hrs or over nite..then vaccum it up. I guess it dries the fleas up. you'll have to do it like once a week for a couple weeks, then maybe a monthe later or so. but once u get the pets fixed then they should jsut go away eventually. ....my friend had them really bad for months and spent hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of them...finally they called an exterminator...he came once and then havent seen them since...so if its bad i would say do that!! good luck! and i would go with the PP's on 1800 petmeds, or the website. i jsut paid $43 for a 3 month supply for my little dog from the vet
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2009