We just got a new dog german shephard and my daughter is scared of the dog. She likes some other dogs but how can I get her over the fear of our new dog instead of having to give the dog away?

joycie911

Asked by joycie911 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pets

• She will get over it. Have her give the dog a treat and start from there. IF you have to rehome the dog, MAKE sure that you are VERY picky with who you let the pup live with. Make sure they know HOW to raise one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank you... I cant even get her to go near the dog... She stays downstairs in the computer room with the door shut until its time for bed then I put the dog on the back porch until she goes to sleep then the dog comes in... same routine in the morning... She will talk to the dog thru the bathroom window that she can see the dog on the porch... I know she would love her if I could just get her to pet her...
    joycie911

Answer by joycie911 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• just start out slow like have ur dd put food in her bowl and water her. take her around other big dogs to insure her that big dogs r just a gentle as lil dogs...what is it about ur dog that scares her? find the fear and slowly work on it. my nephew is afraid of my dog who part gremansheperd/rotti and is also is a big baby but he like my brothers pitbull who is a clussy
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My daughter used to be terrified of our two german sheps... we only have one now and she loves her! Just give you DD time... she will adjust to the dog and will grow to love it. Just be patient about it and try not to rush it.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 12:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Did you tell her about getting a dog? Have her come with you to get the dog? How old is the child? Ever get a chance to watch It's Me or the Dog ? You could try having her look out from a window while you train the dog. So she knows that he can listen to basic commands.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009