Do you want your son or daughter to be a virgin when they get married?

You see I don't want my daughter to get married young. I really would like her to finish college and maybe grad school before she gets married. So I don't want her to get married before she is at least 26 or 27 years old. Now of course I DO NOT want her to have sex when she is young, but remaining a virgin util the age of 26 is kind of wishful thinking. I have just noticed that people who wait til marriage to have sex get married pretty early, and I don't want that for her. I find nothing wrong with sex before marriage. Again let me repeat myself I DO NOT want her having sex as a teenager or having sex with a lot of different people, but when she is older it is her decision. So my question is do you want your child to be a virgin when they get married .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe that exploring your sexuality is part of growing up. I lost my virginity at age 17 to a young man I loved very much. I am happy with my decision.

I had always been open with my mom about these sorts of things. I told her everything from when we had out first kiss etc. She educated me on being safe and just asked that I tell her when "it" happens.

I told my mom a month after it had happened and she already knew! So had looked through my purse and saw that I had birth control pills and condoms. She knew I was being smart about it. We had a little talk, and that was it. No big deal. I will treat the situation the same way.

A little education goes a long way.
    AmandaQuu

Answer by AmandaQuu at 5:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My thought is being a virgin would be nice but Im not gonna turn myself into a nutcase if it doesnt happen and wig on him,etc(I have all boys).

They will be taught its best to wait til you are in a long term committed relationship and are mature enough to handle ANY situation that may arise(physically, mentally, emotionally,etc). Their father and I were both over 20 our first times(not with each other) and Im hoping the boys follow that example at least LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• that is a personal decision they will have to make growing up. I don't want my kids having sex in highschool though, but I won't be able to control it if they do. My parents tried their hardest with me and it didn't work. If kid wants to have sex.. they WILL find a way. But its just something they will have to decide on their own.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Not really. I agree with you completely. I do not want my kids indulging in risky sex practices when they are teens. But when they are adults I see no problem with it. I have only been with my husband, whom I love and he is a very satisfying lover, but I do wonder what it would have been like with someone else...I won't ever know and sometimes I wonder...

I want my kids to be happy and not sexually frigid. My sister was a virgin until she was 28...and let me tell you it did her no favors. She felt like an outcast.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As much as a parent would wish that sometimes it does not work out that way. If you can convince her to wait then do it. But if for some reason something happens there is not much you can do. I pray that she listens to you. I know I pray that mine listen. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well, considering i don't believe in marriage. It would make no difference with me.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I used to think that waiting till you are married to have sex was the best thing to do for yourself. I have now changed my mind. I was a virgin when we got married (at age 23) and now 15 years later, I see that it wouldn't have mattered. I knew we were gonna stay together so I just should have done it already. That way, I would have been enjoying sex a whole lot earlier!! We were 15 when we started dating and I bet our teenage sex would have been awesome!!!! LOL I think if you're with someone you care about and vice versa, it doesn't matter. Just practice safe sex. :)
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• well I'd like to think my kids will ignore the raging hormones and wait until marriage but I'm realistic and don't think it will happen.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• i personally would rather muh child be familiar with sex before marriage. tht doesnt mean actually having it, but they way teens are these says (im a teen too) are that sex is inevitable. its gonna happen n kids are gonna do it.
    so no, idc when muh kid has sex as long as its safe n she feels comfortable talkin to me bout it so i can help her in any way i can
    momma323

Answer by momma323 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I don't agree with waiting for marriage, I have a daughter and a son and I want both of them to go to college (if not more) and then start their careers. If I had it my way, I wouldn't want either to marry until AT LEAST 30, preferably even older. There's only so much I can do to encourage that, I know, but I would much rather my kids have responsible and safe sex after say, 18 (after high school) than rush to get married.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2009