My baby is ten months old and I've been feeding him Gerber baby food, and we've been introducing finger foods to him for a while. Mostly we've tried cut up peaches, watermelons, cheerios and other small fruits. What other finger foods should I be feeding him? Also, he's drinking 8 oz. of formula at each feeding, and 8 oz. of breast milk right before bed. When should I start weaning him off of the milk and onto cow's milk? Should I be feeding him more solid foods than milk?

ljimmi1

Asked by ljimmi1 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no cows milk until they are a year old... but they have all sorts of finger foods in the baby food isle
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son is also 10 months and he eats everything we do. Whatever I make myself for lunch he will have some of that cut up. If it happens to be something that doesn't work well... I have things like kidney beans (which he LOVES),cooked veges, tortilla shell.... stuff most people just have in the house and I give him some of that. I try to make it as healthy as I can.
    With whole milk... it's up to you how you want to do it. Some wait to exactly a year... we plan on introducing it at 11 months in small amounts and work up from there.
    With food VS milk I think it depends on how good of an eater you have. I use to breastfeed before food... but now that he is older I give foods first so he eats better and then I give milk. Right now he doesn't eat well enough for the food to take priority.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• At his age he should be drinking the formula or breastmilk before he gets his solid foods. Sounds like you are doing great on the solids. :) Just introduce what he's interested in. If he's interested in your table food, chop it up finely and let him have some.

As to the whole milk, introduce that after he's a year old, or like PP you could give small very small amounts when he's 11 months shortly before his 1st birthday to introduce it, but dont' give it instead of the formula or breastmilk.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You don't have to go to whole milk at all if you don't want to. Breast milk is made for humans, cow's milk is made for baby cows. Why switch it up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• So anon :18 do you still drink breast milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You should do what you feel is right for your son. Honestly.

My boys were on all table foods by 9 months. Personally, if he's having no sensitivity issues, I'd just start making him a plate from what you're having and let him have at it.

Our pediatrician said (and this was for OUR boys) that once they are on all table foods, eating a balanced, varied diet, then they can go on milk as there is no need for formula any longer. I also took that to mean that they should be on formula until they can get their nutrition from their daily diet.

As for "whole" milk, our pediatrician had us go to 2%, so check with your pediatrician about that for your son.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DD eats everything now...loves pasta bolognese. I throw it in the processor to make feeding easier. Normally she eats off my plate. Which is great because I eat more slowly :) She's going to be a year the 15th. I was giving her egg yolks in the morning (the whites can cause an allergic reaction)..she loves them. I decided the hell with it and let her have a whole omelette...didn't have any problems with that. I think your suppose to wait til a year on egg whites. I think anything is fair game at this point with the exception for shellfish(I'm waiting a bit on all fish) nuts and I also heard strawberries. My DH bites the skin off pickles and gives her bites..thought that was weird..that she likes it.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DD was on table food by 10 months. She HATED the texture of baby foods and skipped from formula/cereal straight to things like cheese puffs and chicken. LOL.

We introduced milk to her around 11mo -- about 6oz a day to see how she got used to it, and then full-force milk by the time she was a year.

We just fix her a plate of whatever we're eating. It forces us to eat healthier, too. :)
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009