How do I tell my hubby without hurting his feelings?

I don't know if this is a wierd question or not, but I figured I'd ask. Okay, now I love hubby, so very very much, but hes got a big problem thats a big turn off to me. Being a coffee drinker and a smoker he has the stinkiest breath! YUK! Sometimes I don't even want to kiss him its so bad. How can I tell him he needs to use mouthwash more often without hurting his feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• lol idk, i'm just really blunt & tell my dh (he's a smoker too)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Do it in a joking way. Like when you're kissing, be like "Ewww stinky breath!" or "You need to brush your teeth, yuck!" but say it in the tone of voice like when you're talking to your kids. I'll do that to my DH like when he needs to brush his teeth or shave and usually he'll go do in within the next hour or so.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yeah just tell him the truth...
    Honey I love you so much and I want to kiss you when ever, could you please use mouth wash more often. The smoking it is just making your breathe stink....

Kiss kiss kiss....say it with love and kindness...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would say babe your breath is kicking. Go brush your teeth or at least eat a mint\. LOL
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Hmmm maybe you should catch him after he brushes and rinses and then give him a really big kiss and let him know that you really like kissing him when he has a 'clean' mouth. Otherwise you might have to tell him that cigarettes and coffee are not a good thing and is a turn-off for you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I always have coffee breath and told my husband to offer me a mint. I rather he do that than not kiss me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You can't. If he's attached to the idea that he is a completely sexy and attractive package, finding out he smells repulsive will hurt his feelings. Of course, that might inspire him to brush his teeth more often.. who knows.

If he's not attached to the idea that he's already perfect, it won't hurt his feelings.

So, no drawback to telling him -- but I agree with MizLee: tell him what you want, not what you don't want.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• his feelings will be hurt that you didn't tell him sooner. That is very embarrassing. I will tell my love if his breath stinks, and i don't care if it hurts his feelings because he needs to know. I would want to know immediately. Anyway, after he uses mouth wash, give him a hot kiss & say "that's much better".

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We both drink coffee,so that is not a problem here. But he(DH) does smoke..I was just bluntly honest with him about the stinky smoke smell. You stink. I wont have sex with him unless he shower. And we don't do any open mouth kissing anymore because of that ..Just pecks. Untell he stop smoking that's the way it will stay. And he smokes outside.

Answer by louise2 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Just kiss him and be like "Shew!" "You got some stinky breath!" in a joking way. I tell my DH, he doesn't get hurt, he usually agrees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2009