How do I get my calf to stop hurting?

I had to drive about 5 hours Sunday and ever since my calf has really been hurting me! I have tried stretching it out and massaging it but it isn't helping... It is almost like charlie horse pain but it won't go away. Does anyone know what it is and how I can relieve the pain?? Thanks ladies!!

biznesmom

Asked by biznesmom at 10:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

• I'm not sure if this will work for you or not but try eating a banana or two for a day or two. I use to get really bad cramps in the calves of my legs to the point I had to have someone else massage them out because they hurt so bad it pretty much imobilized me. Someone told me to try bananas - something about a potassium deficiency. It always works for me. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thanks, I'll try that.
    biznesmom

Answer by biznesmom at 12:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Try drinking a lot of water. I get cramps in my legs sometimes when I get dehydrated.
    If you are taking hormonal birth control, you may want to check with your doctor's office if it doesn't go away. It is rare, but it could be a blood clot.
    I would try the bananas and water first though.
    Potatoes have more potassium than a banana does, so if you have any in the house maybe you should have it with dinner.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No, not on birth control. I hope it's not a blood clot though. If it doesn't go away I guess I'll call. It just feels like a very tight muscle all the way up. Thanks for your input ladies, I had a banana and am looking for the potatos! LOL
    biznesmom

Answer by biznesmom at 3:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Is your leg swollen at all or red or warm to the touch? If it is - go to the hospital!!! It could be a blood clot! I have had 2. The first time- I thought I injured a muscle. It hurt a lot and I really didn't know what I had done- but I was sure it was a muscle injury Nothing made the pain better- not heat or ice. I finally went to the ER and was diagnosed with a large clot.
    Hopefully- that is not it! But if you suspect it at all- go get it checked. Better safe than sorry!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2009