Do you make your kids clean their room or do you just close the door and ignore the mess?

We have done both with our ten year old. We have recently just shut his door and ignore the mess, but now his room is a safety hazard. You run the risk of tripping on the empty lego bin and being decapitated by the fishing pole hanging off of the desk.
What do you do? Do you do it yourself or make them do it?And how often do their rooms get cleaned?

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 10:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son has to straighten it up when it gets too cluttered, like once a week or so. Then every two weeks I do a deep clean and stand there and enjoy the cleanliness for a minute because that's about how long it lasts. LOL
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I make my boys clean their rooms themselves, they are 6 and 9 and share a bedroom. Then I do a walk through and make sure it'sdone right and point out what they missed. If their room isn't cleaned everynight, it can become a safty hazzard as well.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My 5 and 7 year olds get their room REALLY cleaned when I go in there and do it, about once a month. But 2-3 times a week, they clean it themselves. I don't hound them about it, but ask them to, and usually they wont right away, so the next time they ask me for something special, I tell them they can after their room is clean and then they will do it without me fighting about it. Like if they want to go to the park, or a friend to come over, watch a perticular move, etc.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My youngest sons are 5 and 8...and I have them clean their room the best THEY can...as long as stuff is NOT in their pathway at night...I do however, go in once a month and do a MOM SWEEP and clean from ceiling to floor...I make them clean it because...well...they messed it!
    katb04

Answer by katb04 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I make my kids clean their rooms several times a day when they are home... they play up there for a while, then will come down and ask to watch a movie, so they have to clean their rooms, first; they have to clean their rooms before bed; they have to clean their rooms before they go to Daddy's house for his parenting time; they clean their rooms before they go outside to play; they clean their rooms before we leave the house. If I find their rooms are dirty, they know that I will do MY cleaning job, and they don't like it. So they keep their rooms clean whenever they are not playing in there.
    armycoppertop

Answer by armycoppertop at 11:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If it's not that bad, but not something that I would want a guest to see, I close the door. But if it's a hazard of any kind, I clean it up. She's only two, so there's not all that much she can do, but I have her help pick up toys and hold her with me while I vacuum.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For my 9 year old I set a timer for 20 minutes a couple of times a week and ask him to clean his room for only that amount of time. It works really well most days, some days he just picks up a few things but there are actually times when he has gotten into it and spends more than the alotted 20 minuetes and he is very proud of him self when he is done.
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have a 10 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter. They both have to clean their own rooms (or help each other clean the rooms). The only way to the bath room is through both their bedrooms. My MIL use to keep a NASTY house when DH was growing up. She only had a path to her chair, the kitchen and her bed. He can't stand a messy house. We tell the kids they have to clean it up and give them a certain time limit. If they don't have it clean then we go in and bag up everything on the floor. The kids at first thought we were throwing it out but then they realize we put the stuff in the back room until they can keep their rooms cleaned up. In the five years we have been together we have had to do this three times, now if we tell them to clean up then they do it. We keep their stuff for at least a week, but have kept it up to three weeks before. Hope this helps.
    mommatater

Answer by mommatater at 11:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I make them do it and even sit on their bed and bark orders if they start messing around. I have cleaned it myself when they are gone and throw away a ton of stuff. That is now their incentive for doin it themselves. They know that I will toss anything on the floor after they are done.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I make the kids clean their room and one other room in the house, I take just as much if not more and we usually can get done within an hour or two if we all work together since there's six of us that work together.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009