what should we do if a baby tries to get out of her gate

i have a 1 1/2 yr old daughter wo tries to out smart us cause she knows how to get out of her high chair and she knows how to get out of the bath tub and she also knows how to try to climb upstairs what should i do

babyangel301

Asked by babyangel301 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ooh... my 1-1/2 yr old is doing the highchair thing now too - so no advice but would love to see the advice
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• just sit with her constantly eat whie she eats play whie you bathe, but otherwise just try to make things as safe as possible she's bound to fall or get bruised one way or another... good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• also i want6ed to add that if you buy two baby gates suspend them in the doorway one on top of the other so she can't cllimb out
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Make sure you buy baby gates that are extra tall and only have upright bars to them (some are cross-hatched which make them easy to climb). My son was the adventurous type as well so I decided to quickly get him good at going up and down the stairs. I also blocked his access to the stairs but if he managed to get there, I wanted to avoid him tumbling down. At 2 he's very proficient at walking up and down.

THere isn't much you can do about the tub other than to never leave her alone (which is dangerous anyway).

Try moving her to a booster seat with a strap. That will at least give her a new challenge!
    Anonymous

• Does the highchair have buckles on it or can she unbuckle them?I would strap her in.My son was an excape artisit when he was younger and now my daughter is.I would put the gates on top of each other,but he would clime over them and get out.I put vasoline on the bars and he'd still excape.My daughter just plows through gates like a football player.My daughter gets out of the tub all the time.I never leave her alone though.She clims on the table and chairs now.I think that it's just them showing their independance to us

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• my dd got the dog to jump the gates so he would knock them over and she would just get out anyway. i woke up many of times in the mornings with food from my cupbords and frig strung across my house bc she was a sneeky witch and we didnt hear her. we ended up putting a screen door up in her room with the lock on the out side so we could keep her contained.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You aren't leaving her unsupervised in a high chair or bathtub, are you?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009