At what age would you feel comfortable leaving a child home alone?

What age do you think it is appropriate for a child (OVER the age of 10) to stay home by themselves during the summer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It depends on the kids. Mine was able to at 9. Some I wouldn't trust at 21. I started at 9 and someone called CPS in VA on us. She interviewed he and I and determined that he was plenty mature enough and everything was taken care of and he was in no danger. As long as he didn't get left overnight. Per law in VA as long as maturity is high and steps are taking, then it is ok. If child is deemed not mature enough, then, it isn't allowed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• the law in my state is 14 alone, 16 with younger sibling
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Wow, my 13 y/o would be going to a babysitter I guess in your state. That would suck. Most daycares stop at age 12.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm asking because our son is 11. He knows the rules of the house, and is very able to care for himself. I don't think he's ready yet (just the mommy in me!) but my husband thinks he's more than ready.
    He knows there are about 10 people he could call within 5 minutes of home, but I'm afraid I'd be worried about him all day!
    Anonymous

• I put note book paper in a binder and hand wrote out all the rules and shedule he was to follow. I made an emergency plan for him wih the names, addresses and phone numbers written out. It even went so far as to say if he saw or heard anyone around the outside of the house to call 911 and give them our address(which I wrote down) and what exactly to tell them. His schedule said that when he woke up, he was to wash his face, eat his breakfast, then call his grandma to let her know he was up. Then he was to play in his room and he could play playstation or watch t.v. His breakfast was already on a plate and wrapped, he only had to microwave it. His lunch was a P.B. sandwich and it was in a baggie on the table. I had written so much and in so much detail that he never felt incapable, he felt empowered. He even had a list for after school days, like come in, immediately lock the door and call G-ma. Eat snack then homework.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I even had tabs so each section was easily identified. I also talked to him and reminded him and went over all rules and schedules a few weeks before I actually left him alone.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• depends can u trust them, can they handle a emergency, & their maturity level-
    My kid is 11& she never alone more that 15 min AND I trust her.
    I don't care for the idea of leaving any child more than 15min no matter what because
    there too much that can go wrong.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Some of you were talking about state laws and that made me curios. I found this link

http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

MOST states don't have an age....crazy!  I would say over 12 at least!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would be concerned about a kid that age home all day; it sounds like a recipe for obseity. What about day camp?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• 14
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009