at what point to do give up on keepin the kids' room clean?

its a constant battle to get them to clean their room, even when i offer incentives like computer time, vid games, movie time ect they still refuse to clean up ..... ideas would be great too

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 11:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you want to keep your sanity ---- birth.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I haven't so much given up, but I have resigned myself to the fact that the room is never going to be "clean". Right know you can not see the floor of my kids room, it's under there somewhere but I have no will to go in there and tackle it, my problem is 3 little ones in one room. The older ones are good about keeping thier rooms clean now, but that wasn't the case a few years ago. I just take it day by day and hope they out grow it just like the older ones did.

I will say that the threat of a trash bag can help, I have done it a few times. I don't throw the toys away, I let them earn it back. But even that get old eventually cause I am still haveing to go in and clean it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Don't give up, just keep on them. I gave up......it got baaaaaaaad. It took me two hours to get it back to normal!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mine clean their rooms daily...we're clean freaks here though. I give them a warning that anything left on the floor when I come to check will get tossed and they take me seriously. To help keep it from getting too disasterous, we go through their toys regularly and give the older ones away and throw out the broken ones. We also rotate the toys. I have a couple rubbermaid bins filled with toys that get stored away for a few months. When they get bored with the toys in their room, we rotate out the bins.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If it's on the floor at bed time, it's thrown in the trash.

That's all, that's it, the end.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I never cleaned there rooms..They did..When they became teenagers I just told them if there rooms were not clean keep the door shut.

Answer by louise2 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• they get a warning then after that i throw it away.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I like the "if it's on the floor at bedtime, it gets tossed" ideas. By the time they are 9 years old, they should be able to keep their rooms clean on their own.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 12:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For us (our kids aren't old enough yet; 2 and 9 months) our kids are going to be told to pick up their toys (they do it now with coaching) or they're going to be given away. Simple as that. I know of a father who did this and his kids didn't believe him. He threw all their toys away. Told them to make their beds and they didn't; guess what, bed went away too. I wouldn't throw the toys away (there are less fortunate kids out there that would be happy to have a used toy or stuffed animal), but the important thing is to be consistent. If you tell them you're going to do it and they don't clean up, do it. Otherwise, there is not point; they'll never believe you when you tell them you are going to do something. It might seem cruel, but from what I've heard, it only takes one or two times.
    MakylasMom

Answer by MakylasMom at 1:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• We have adopted the fowling policy in our home. This house is like a hotel. The main floor is the loby, guests do not leave their belongings in the loby. If they do we are not held responsible for lost or damaged items. We are not held responsible for item tossed into the trash because someone left them laying around and the "house keeping " staff has tossed them. If you want to live like a pig make sure that all things are contained in your room and that the door can be closed. Food and drink are NEVER allowed in the rooms, you must eat in the dinning room.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009