I'm so Frustrated

My son is going to be 3 and for the last two days it has been horrible to get him to go to sleep, last night I took him to the park for 1 1/5 hour and didn't give him any sugar and I drove around for 2 hours trying to calm him, then when I gave up and went home he still wouldn't go to sleep, he criied and was kicking, screaming, and trowing things, it was so bad I spanked him, took things away and he still wouldn't stop, In the middle of the night he woke up and said his troat hurt and I held him and he went right back to sleep and this morning was fine like nothing, this is such weird behavior for him, I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's likely just reached a stage. It's especially important right now to create and/or stick to the bedtime routine! Start winding him down a couple hours before you intend for him to go to sleep and make sure he understands that the time is nearing. Charts are often helpful and motivate children to do good. Give him a sticker for completing his bedtime cleanup and brushing teeth, etc. Tell him he can have another sticker in the morning if he is a big boy and stays in bed to get his rest.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• A couple of suggestions:
    First, don't get him overtired. Since he got so little sleep last night, try to get an afternoon nap in today - even if it's just a rest breask. And put him to bed at least 1/2 hour early tonight. When a young child gets overtired, they simply can not relax and sleep. So don't try to wear him out. Overtired children have a harder time falling asleep, staying asleep, and usually wake up earlier in the morning.
    Make a quick sign of some kind to put next to his bed. If you have to go back in after bedtime, he loses the sign. If he still has the sign in the morning, he gets a reward. That can be a sticker or some other small treat (a small cookie at breakfast even). My daughter gets a star on a chart. If she earns enough stars, she gets an ice cream cone on Sunday. She loves it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009