How Do I Get Rid Of Ants???

I have these little black ants all over my porch and now they got in the kitchen, I didn't have food out or anything. How do I kill them without chemicals. I don't want anything harsh around my baby or dog. Thanks!

biznesmom

Asked by biznesmom at 12:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Lemon juice in a spray bottle. Spray it directly on the ants. The citric acid burns through the exoskeleton and exposes the immune system, killing them very quickly. To keep them out of the house, sprinkle cinnamon in a line in front of wherever those ants are coming in. You can also use Borax, but I wouldn't use that if you have small children or pets.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank you so much!!!!
    biznesmom

Answer by biznesmom at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Sprinkling ground ginger where they are coming in helps too.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• vinegar or orange oil will work, too

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I tried the vinegar it doesn't seem to be working, neither is the cinnamon. Hopefully it will. Thanks ladies for the advice.
    biznesmom

Answer by biznesmom at 8:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I heard on one of the HGTV channels the other day to use chalk and draw a line where you want them to stay out. They said that ants won't cross the chalk line. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth it to see. Let us know. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've used black pepper and that seemed to work!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Regular chalk,?? I read somewhere to buy chalk for a chinese store. I have no idea, they just keep coming in. I think there is a mound or something under our porch, might look for a bomb or somthing to throw under there while we aren't home.
    biznesmom

Answer by biznesmom at 9:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009