Is it normal for my son to throw up food he doesn't like?

He had a tiny chocolate today that had an almond in it. He was distressed by the almond and I told him to spit it out and he ended up throwing up down the front of himself to my disbelief! When we try to get him to try new foods, asking him to take "just one bite" to try it, like Augratin Potatoes for instance, for some reason sometimes he throws up. It's not all foods, but just putting some foods in his mouth make him gag! Is this normal? And should I be scared to have him try new foods?

K-ki

Asked by K-ki at 12:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is he making himself gag because he doesn't like it or is it happening naturally?
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think it's happening naturally. It's in his mouth and before he can even swallow he starts gagging. I'm scared to have him try new foods!
    K-ki

Answer by K-ki at 12:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I remember working at a daycare and the cafeteria warden(that's what i called her LOL she wasn't very nice to some of the kids when it came to food) made him try peas. Needless to say the kid let her know just how much he didn't like peas. LOL

I think in some cases it's the texture of the food and not necessarily the taste. Au gratin's though are salty(in my opinion) and maybe he likes his food a little more bland. One of my twins HATES peanuts, he'll know right away too if I try to sneak him one LOL(they are a healthy snack) he'll eat peanut butter by the jar if i let him, but peanuts he hates.

I don't think i'd worry, unless he isn't eating anything. Is he really thirsty or pee alot?? The only reason I ask is because when I tried my (now 8 yr old) son to eat oatmeal he would spit it out or throw it up, turned out he was diabetic. I'm sure that's not the case, but just thought i'd share that with you just in case.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank you for your answer CinderAmethyst, I kind of thought it was the texture of some foods but I just couldn't pin what kind of texture it was. He used to eat Au gratin potatoes when he was little just fine, just gobble them up, before he became a picky eater! :(

He does drink alot. I will talk to my dr ab diabetes next time we go in. Thank you for that tip.
    K-ki

Answer by K-ki at 12:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would throw up my breakfat every morning when I was younger. I hated to get up and eat it. And one bite and I would puke. My mom finally gave up. I also hated meat...my mom tried to force that and I threw up too. I eat it all now, but, I was tiny when I was little because I hated all that food and threw up alot. Now, I am overweight because I was forced to eat alot and lost my natural fullness sensor. Always have him try one bite. If he pukes, then stop. One bite won't cause of form any issue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I still can't eat jello though...and some noodles. The texture still makes me gag.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I agree w/ CinderAmethyst. I think it's more about texture. My son is 4 and does the same thing. He cannot eat anything soggy and the only pasta he will eat is ramon noodles. Can you believe that?!?! LOL He will throw both of those up immediately if he puts them in his mouth. He also gags on other things and ends up throwing up but I think he's just putting to much thought into what he is trying. We try not to worry to much about it any more. We just let him eat at his own pace. I'm sure he'll be eating like a horse when he's 14. LOL
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• No, this is not normal. Does he have a sensory disorder?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009