Pregnant and broke...seriously...

I know this might not happen alot on Cafe' Mom but I have an honest question to ask. I'm 20 and my husband lost his jobs months ago. We have been staying with friends and trying to find him work but so far it just has'nt worked out. I'm 31 weeks and I don't have ANY items for the new baby boy arriving. Does anyone know of freebie websites or places where I might be able to get the needed items? I'm not asking for donations just information. Thanks.

-Crystal

starlit_kissez

Asked by starlit_kissez at 12:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would talk to someone at a local church. They will most likely be able to tell you who to talk to or even donate a few things to you. I am sorry this is such a stressful time but also try talking to someone at the local health department, they are sure to have info for you.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Where I live there is a place called abbigals pregnancy center and you have to attend parenting classes and they supply you with a crib. Then if you go and watch parening movings and such you get points, and then they have like a good will attatched (its not a good will though, but its all donated things) and for however many points you have you can take what you need. I don't know if they are nationwide or just where I live but I'd google it
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• go to your local church and tell them whats going on alot of times they will be willing to help out. or if you have like an for or something (focus of renewal) is a community place and they always help out pregnant women in my area, my friend did it and she got a crib a carseat and a bunch of diapers and she also got on wic to get the formula and stuff. google stuff like that in your area hope something works out. if i had anything to give i would, but i already gave all my stuff away so....also check craigslist i know you dont really have the money but sometimes people post ads for free stuff you just have to pick it up .. . . . hope that helps
    Anonymous

• There's a web sight called Freecycle.org. It's nation wide and people put stuff on there to give away or you can request items...We've gotten A LOT from this sight. GOOD LUCK
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 12:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• There are LOTS of resources out there that can help you.

First and for most, if you haven't already SIGN UP FOR WIC!! They will give you a FREE breastpump so that if you return to work or school after the baby is born you won't have to worry about the expense of a breastpump. They also give you nutrional food for attending classes.

Check your local phone book for Pregnancy and/Or Family Resource Center. These places can provide you with MANY services such as free diapers and vouchers for their "store" if you attend classes, information about where you can get more services, and much more.

Also find the number for a local car seat safety tech. These are usually located in your local fire department and often will give you a free car seat for attending a little car seat safety siminar.

Check out local food or clothing banks. Often they have diapers, wipes and other baby supplies for free.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
    Anonymous

• Since I was young and had medicaid when I had my son, the hospital assumed I was completely broke and offered help with carseat, clothes and diapers and lots of things...maybe yours can help too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I second the Freecycle.org idea. You can find your local area and find TONS of stuff for free!

My friend found her crib, changing table, car seat, and several blankets on this site for FREE.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE RECALL LIST WHEN GETTING ANY OF THIS STUFF AND CHECK THE EXPERATION DATE ON THE CAR SEAT. ALSO ASK IF IT'S BEEN IN A ACCIDENT...IF SO DO NOT USE IT!!
    Anonymous

• Call your local hospital and ask to speak to the social worker or a nurse on the labor and delivery floor. Explain your situation. THEY WILL UNDERSTAND!! Everyone is going through hard times right now.

They can give you a list of places that can help and may even offer services out of the hospital.
    Anonymous

• thrif shops, just make sure to clean them good.

too bad your not in ga. i just gave away tons of baby items
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• ask your church if you attend or even if you don't and look and see if you have a pregnancy care center in your town. there was one in the town i use to live in that provided everything for those who needed help. some was used but most was new :)
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009