How do I..

get my 2 1/2 year old to eat food?! He gets all excited before a meal, but then when I put the food down in front of him he says blegh and pushes it away. Then all night I hear I'm hungry I'm hungry. All he ever wants is cheese, hot dogs, popsicles,banana's or cereal. and half the time he just takes a bite and is done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay in the last class i took, we learned quickly EVERY CHILD goes through a phase like this, even if its eating off a certain fork or spoon, or if its only eating mac n cheese!!..it happens, is he distracted when he eats, is there alot going on around him. most of the time we worry more than we should, if he is hungry HE WILL EAT!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• This is the OP ..... Everybody keeps saying that if he's hungry he will eat. But he doesn't....there have been days when he doesn't eat anything! The dr. said not to give him what he wants. Says to give him what I want him to eat and if he doesn't eat it offer it at the next meal and so on. BUT IT'S NOT WORKING :( I'm at my wits end.
    Anonymous

• Give him choices! Offer him two choices (pre approved by you, of course) and let him help in the preparation. Have him help mix the mashed potatoes for dinner, or put the vegetables in the pot (before its hot). I agree with your pediatrician--you need to stay consistant and not give in. Make sure he knows that if he does not eat his lunch, he will not give anything until 3 oclock (or whenever you give his snack). But DO NOT give in!

Get rid of the foods he only wants to eat (temporarily). If he sees them, he will want them. The next time he asks for a hot dog instead of the chicken you made, simply tell him, and show him, that you do not have hot dogs.

Model the behaviour you want him to imitate. Make sure you're eating your fruits and veggies in front of him.

Last but not least, get a toddler cook book. Make eating fun! Use cookie cutters and cut his sandwiches into shapes.

Be persistant mama, don't give up! HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I promise that your child will not starve to death if you don't feed him junk. In fact, don't have any junk in the house for a while. He should be eating fruits, vegetables; whole grains, beans.You should be eating healthy foods to set a good example.Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & marinara sauce.I have a ton of healthy, tasty, budget friendly recipes. I can list some;contact me for recipes.
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    bean patties with avocado
    veggie pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2009