• In the Spotlight:

Why does my son gag himself?

I am a new Mommy and have had to ask lots of ridiculous questions, but I just don't understand why my son feels it necessary to stick his fingers down his throat continuously...he also likes to shovel so much food in his mouth he can't swallow. Is this a boy thing? A teething thing? I'm getting really concerned...

captnmorgan23

Asked by captnmorgan23 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LMAO!! my baby does this too i joke about this all the time. he hasnt quite grasped how far his fingers can fit in his mouth without the gag effect. and this didnt start until teething because he wanted to chew on his hands when his gums started hurting. He cant really hurt himself. and yes my son eats like tomorrow will not exist every time i feed him. I think its normal....hes a baby he depends on you to feed him, he doesnt realize that no matter what mommy will make sure there is a next time!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DD is 19 months and still chokes herself :~( I hate it, but it is very normal. I figure the worst she will do is make herself throw up, or scratch her throat. I still haven't figured out a way to get her to stop and I know its just a phase she will grow out of.

Try gently removing his hands and playing patty cakes or something that wil busy his fingers. Offer a teething ring or a drink of water.

My DD chokes herself like that when she gets tired or frustrated. Her abuela works in a daycare and says many kids in her daycare do that.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009