soul searching question: I read in a book a guy said women ask men to be honest with them but really don't want the real truth. What do you think, do we really want to hear the truth ? I think I do at times (just being honest ). What about you ?

my2kids312

Asked by my2kids312 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Oh, women hear the truth...we just don't want to believe it...

Man says: I don't really want a baby right now.

Woman HEARS: I will change my mind once the baby gets here and marry you and we will live happily ever after.

Man says: I'm not looking for anything serious right now.

Woman HEARS: Please stalk me until I come to my senses and realize you are the one for me.

Man says: That actress is pretty.

Woman HEARS: You're a fat cow who can never compare to that actress and I'm going to leave you for someone prettier.

Men don't have a problem telling the truth...women just have a problem hearing it. We hear what we want to hear or what we don't want to hear and we have a hard time taking what men say at face value. If he says 'You look nice'...it means 'you look nice' and there's no reason to analyze it for 10 hours with your BFF to decide if he means 'I'm in love with you'.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• So me and my SO just had a long talk about this. Yes we always say we want the truth and i think we do, i think we lie when we say we can handle it!!! He did some dirt i kinda knew the truth but i wanted to hear it from him, yes it felt better to know he could man up and finally tell me, but whn you sit down and think it through its like OUCH! thats amazing i never wouldve thought. the truth is a big deal....and it shouldnt be taken lightly. but i think we need to be careful what we ask for and be ready for what it may be!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For me personally
    I always
    want the truth...
    don't sugar coat anything!!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Of course I want the truth. If the "real truth" is something I'd rather not hear, then I want to know it even more because that would imply I'm being deceived or cheated on. I don't want to waste 20 yrs of my life with some low-life like that & I don't want him giving me something penicillin won't cure.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm all for Tell me What I want to Hear! It if's close to the truth then so be it. Ok that's a joke. Honesty is great but some things should be left unsaid. If it has no useful positive purpose then I don't want to hear it. ex. My guy sees other women. I know that. I accept that. We agreed on it but I don't want to hear about it. If it is going to hurt and has no positive purpose then I want him to keep it to himself.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I kind of ran into something like this yesterday. I was having trouble with a friend/co-worker who couldn't seem to put down the passive aggressive behavior which she only picks up when she's in a nasty mood. She's told me before she knows she can be hard to handle sometimes so just let her know. Stupid me took her at her word. I am a very tactful person but even so I re-learned a very valuable lesson.

Never tell a woman she's in a bad mood. She can tell you she's in a bad mood but you can never tell HER she's in a bad mood.

Tell a man he's in a bad mood and he'll stop and think "Man, I'm acting like a little bitch" and he'll stop immediately.

Tell a woman she's in a bad mood and she'll look at you and think "Oh, you think I'm a bitch now? You just wait and I'll show you a bitch."
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I suspect that women want the truth but can be terribly hurt by it. So she should never ask for the truth unless she has prepared herself for the worst.

Answer by Bmat at 1:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• To truly answer the question I think as women we like to think that we can handle anything. As moms we are tough physically and mentally but even toughest of us has a weakness when it comes to our emotions. We just don't like to believe it. In reality sticks and stones may break our bones but words will break our heart. Bones heal faster than a heart will.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I want the truth and my rule of thumb is if you dont' want to know the answer then dont ask it cuz I will be just as honest. Goes for me to. If i don't wanna know I wont ask but If I ask I want the hard truth..no sugar coatin
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009