what is the best kind of breast pump that isn't super expensive?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can rent one from your health dept for free I believe! Free is always the best!
    Anonymous

• YEa my local health dept. told me they only loan them out for two reasons...one your baby is hospitalized at birth or two your baby has latch problems, or you have problems producing. My son wouldnt latch on...so they gave me one...and manual as far as ive heard has been the best and easiest because you control the flow!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It depends on what you need it for.

If your just going to be pumping the occational bottle or some milk for cereal when the baby gets older than a hand pump will do.

A good one that isn't expensive is the Medela Harmony. It's about 40 bucks and is quite effecitive. I actually used this one my self for a while before I purchased my PIS.

Medela also makes several small single and double electric pumps that you can get for under 100 dollars.

If your going to be returning to work or pumping to donate milk than you'll want a good double electric pump.

The best are Medela Pump In Style and Ameda Purley Yours. These pumps DO run about 300 dollars but they are SO worth it. If you CAN NOT afford something like that out of pocket you can rent one from a local breastfeeding supply store or your hospital. Many have "rent to own" plans where you can pay like 20-50 dollars a month until you pay it off.

Anonymous

• i had a medela, worked good. i wish it was not as loud though
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I got a medela hand pump FREE from the hospital when I delivered and asked to see the lactaction consultant.

I never used it a lot, but it was good for what I needed it for, and BRAND NEW!!! lol

Call your hospital and see if they offer any free pumps like that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I used an evenflo electric double pump. Cost about 70$. It worked really good, was done pumping within 10 minutes. Bought it at Kmart.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I used Avent with all of my kids, and I love it. I tried the medela with my oldest and didnt like it but that was several years ago and I have heard good things since then, so they have probably updated and made alot of good changes, but I would never get anything but my Avent since then as I really love it alot.
    Anonymous

• i used the avent isis .. it is a manual pump but it works so well! at least it did for me. i could pump a 4 oz. bottle in 10 minutes.. sometimes even 5 with it! i loved it. and i got it for free through WIC. if you don't know about WIC, i would highly suggest to google it for your area because its truly a wonderful program. hope this helps!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Medela Harmony was awesome!!! The hand pump (not electric) It had a small pump arm for let down then you flip around to the long arm for full pumping and I got about 6-8 oz. in 10-15 min. It was around 35-40 dollars at Burlington BabyDepot.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 3:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009