Paci help?

My 13 month old has a paci he only gets and nap and bedtime. But today in the car he started sucking his thumb. Should I let him have his paci whenever he starts to suck his thumb? I do not want a thumb sucker since I know how hard of a habit that is to break!

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 12:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• his teeth could have been bugging him...wait and see if he does it more before you jump back to the paci!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• A paci sucker can be just as hard.
    I would not give him the paci when he is sucking his thumb...that is like giving him the
    sign that what he is doing is ok.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If it helps ya feel better...my son used a pacifier till he was near 3,lol. I felt guilty bout it but he's 9 nine, his teeth are fine and he talks no prob(trust me,he won't shut up,lol).The main reason I kept giving it to him for so long is because he had a biting problem. As long as he had his binky...he didn't bite people, so it worked for me. Not sure if your child will stop sucking thumb..who knows, he might like it better and its always there,lol. Anyway...just wanted to let ya know..that mine survived with it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If he shows any signs of sucking his thumb anymore i personally would give him his binky back jus bc my brother used a binky and has perfect teeth i sucked my thumb(for wayyyyy too long) and i had braces for 5 yrs and corrective saq alignment surgery! (btw i sucked my thumb till i was 12)
    Anonymous

• ~jaw* alignment surgery
    Anonymous

• Instead of a paci which you are doing great just at nap and such. Giving it to him more and more means he wants it more. Try giving him a chew toy; or something to chew, biscut or something; he's probaley has teeth coming in; or needs comfort.
    Good Luck!
    P.S. My 1 year old loves frozen bananas, and cold carrots.
    F_Stathouse

Answer by F_Stathouse at 4:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• By the time a child is walking, the pacifier should be gone.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• rkoloms- I'm pretty sure I didn't ask whether or not he should have a paci...If you don't have an answer to the question asked please mind your own business.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009