Not sleeping

My DS had his 6 month appt today and the doctor said he should be sleeping 8-10 hours at night. He takes about 3/20 minute naps during the day so he should be good and tired, but he wakes up about 2 times a night and wants to play. Sometimes I nurse him, but he generally nods back off. How do I get him to sleep through?

Dorris1203

Asked by Dorris1203 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• trying putting some johnson baby bedtime time lotion
    thats what i put on my son when im really tired andhe'll be out for at least 5-8 hours it works i love it.
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• dont worry bout what the doctor says! it's all charts charts charts, and average average average. as long as your baby is sleeping and seems comfortable with the routine I wouldnt worry about it. my son didnt sleep through the night, meaning from being laid down at night to when the sun came up, till about 10 m/o. waking up twice at night sound spretty normal at the age of 6 m/o! if he is hungry, feed him. if he wants to play, lay him back down. he'll get the hang of it!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If he doesn't wake up and cry, I would just let him be. I know that my 3 month old wakes up a lot at night but since she doesn't really cry or fuss that much I let her fall back to sleep on her own. She's been sleeping through the night since about she was about 5-6 weeks!
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For the first three weeks, I pretty much slept on my back with an 8 pounder attached to my chest. He wouldn't sleep in his own bed. On me or the carseat, yes but you could forget about putting him in his bassinet. Well at 3 weeks, I was annoyed that we had wasted money and so I broke him that day of the carseat/chest issue and made him sleep in his bassinet. He finally understood and by the end of two WHOLE days of almost non stop crying, he finally started sleeping in the bassinet. By the end of the 4th week, he was sleeping through the night. At 6 months, he woke up 1-2 times a night for food which is normal for most babies. I fed him, put him back to bed and he was fine. Like other moms said b4 me, it is normal, dr.'s go by charts and average. Most babies aren't average, when they will finally learn, no one knows!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 2:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh and what I mean by "through the night" is that he slept for more than 3 hours at a time. He slept for 6 hours straight and honestly, I was scared to death when I woke at 6 am to an empty silence in my apartment. I woke up my husband and we both went to check on him and he was still sleeping like a rock. That was the first night he slept straight through. I don't think I ever breathed a bigger sigh of relief to see him still breathing.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 2:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Your doctor isn't exactly right. Is he older? A lot of older docs have crazy opinions. Most babies that age do NOT sleep that long AT ALL. My doctor told me that at 6 months my DD should be sleeping 12 hours without a feeding, go F yourself! Lol. (the doctor, not you).

If you baby only wakes up 2 times a night, that's actually really good. He's just itty bitty still. If it makes you feel better, my 2 year old wakes up more than that! Lol.

However, I can't recommend enough to you to get the book The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley. It will help you tons.

And I agree, if baby wakes up, don't mess with him unless he cries, someitmes they fall back asleep on their own. If he does cry, try rubbing his back first before doing whatever it is you normally do to get him back to sleep.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009