Do they make people on welfare go through the workforce place to look for a job?

Like if someone has medicaid, but doesn't work. Do they make them look for a job or go through the workforce place? I would think if they have medicaid even if they went to work they would need assistance with child care. What if they are married? Doe s that make a difference?Just curious. Not trying to start anything. I just say a post earlier about TANF and that it paid for schooling, and i don't even know what TANF really is but i got to thinking if people on assistance had to be looking for a job to kkeep it and did they have to pay if back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sorry but have you seen some of the people applying for Welfare!

I don't think employers would like them as part of their work force. No offense!
    Anonymous

• About paying back. Let's say that you own a house and you receive welfare and you decide to sell the house. It's pay back time. The government will take all the money they can for you selling the house. And if you want to set aside money for your children if the gov discovers you have an exceeded amount they will take it. My friend is a SW.
    Anonymous

• okay im gonna say this from experience and what ive learned..every state is different so i dont know about everywhere...but here goes...

Medicaid is offered but has income requirements. YOU HAVE TO BE BROKE AS HELL TO GET IT! and if your not working, you can only get it for a limited amt of time, of course there are exceptions like having a diagnosed condition.

Foodstamps..Im still pissed at how much pepople get over on this..i STARVED because i made 11 dollars too much!!!!! it was rediculous. And that you only get for 3 months without working. Do people work the system YES still dont know how.

Day care, if married BOTH spouses have to work to get it, the couple still pays a percentage its not 100% free, and if daycare is more than welfare system will pay couple pays the difference!!!

section 8, duno much bout that, i do know if you have kids you move up the list much faster...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Having medicaid and being on welfare are two different things. I have medicaid, but I'm not on welfare, and no they don't make you look for a job. But they do have a tier structure based on family size and income, so some people do have to pay for medicaid. It just depends on their income and the number of children they have as to how much they will pay.
    Welfare yes, I think they do make you look for a job through their place just like they would for unemployment. And I don't know about every state but there is day care assistance. The only problem I have with that is that there are only a few daycares to choose from, and they aren't ones I'd be comfortable sending my child to. Not because they're for low income families, but because I know other women who have taken their kids to those daycares and had bad experiences.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh and TANF is Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. This is a monthly check, and for a single woman with three kids the avg check amt is about 112 a month!!! it wont cover much! and if DSS finds out who the father of the children is and isnt paying child support they will track him down and make him pay back all the money they gave her...

And yes if they find out you lied it is a felony!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The goal of cash aid of any form is to get people off aid and into jobs. Therefor there are many different programs. I am in CA and it works like this. For a non-disabled adult, an individual must spend 32 hours in an activity, a couple 40. Of this activity only 12 can be used for substance abuse or mental health counseling, the rest must be used for job training, work experience, or supervised job search. So a person who is work ready must make 8 contacts per day to fulfill their obligation. One of the resources is workforce connection, the county also has a job development department for welfare clients.

Those who are not work ready can go to school for job training, there are also classes in the basics like appropriate dress for work, etc. I think it's called job keys, work-keys something like that. They will also support you with child care, bus passes or gas money, and money for work clothing.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Also, remember their is a 5 year, lifetime limit for being on cash aid, and in reality cash aid doesn't support a family, it's much better to get off and find a job if possible.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know back in Philadelphia under Mayor Rendell, there was a welfare to work program. Either you found work in a certain period of time, or your welfare was cut off. Employers received tax breaks for employing the "welfare to workers". Unfortunately, there was no clause about how long you had to keep the job or what happened if you quit or got fired. Many got themselves fired or quit just to get back on the rolls. Big loophole. I know, because I was a hiring manager at the time.
    I think it varies from state to state, but in some states you need to show that you are actively seeking employment to continue on welfare.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• WOW teamguinn that sounds like a pretty good plan...wish we could make some changes around here...ive heard on the radio about different states pushing programs that force people into work, they dont really do that much here. the only bad thing about that is if your cut off and you have children. what happens to the children?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I'm a full time college student which means I can only work part time, even during the summers because I take summer classes. I receive food stamps and my son is on health start. Both Programs are income based and in Ohio they don't force you to get a job or give a time limit for being on either program, but its a pain in the ass to get re-certified and I just have the drive to better myself anyways. There's no "paying back the system" however since I plan on having a teaching job when I graduate and will pay taxes I know most of those taxes go back into the system to help the next poor college student single mom better herself and I'm ok with that. I do get annoyed with people who use the system, but I'm grateful there's no time limit since my college degree is a 5 year program. Without foodstamps my son and I would be very hungry.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009