How high of a fever is too high?

My son is 2 1/2 and has a 104.2. I already gave him something. and the Dr. is fine with that. The nurse said as long as he is still eating and drinking. You can treat a fever up to 5 days w/o worry.

luvme110699

Asked by luvme110699 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is your son throwing up or anything? Im sorry but you dont listen to the doctor you listen to your mother instinct and take him to the er right away! Let me tell you a little story that just happen last yr with my 2 1/2 yr old son. He had been running about 101 or 102 temp and I brought him in to his ped. and she just sent us home saying that it was just a virus. Well then the temp. just never let up only when we would give him some tylenol and motrin but this went on for a week so I took him back to the same ped. and she sent us home once again and said it was just a virus and he would have to get over it on his own. By the way she checked his ears and we were told there was no ear infection. Well so we went home that night and the baby slept in bed with us and I woke up because he was burning up and when I checked his temp. it was 105.4!! We grabed the motrin and gave it to him and he pucked it all up and then we were on our
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Man that sounds really high! Did they tell you can rotate Tylenol and Motrin to keep it more controlled? I would ask if you can do that. Is he just running a temp w/no other symptoms? I would bug the Dr. again if he's not better in a day or so. Good luck and I hope your little one feels better soon.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• id put him in a room temp bath and let him air dry. then rotate mortrin an tylonal every three hours. and dont use infants use childrens it works better. give 1tsp or 5ml of it it wont hurt him a bit i give it to my son on drs advice because infants never worked for him..i hope he feels better oh and push pedialite (spelling) just to stay hydrated..good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I know about the motrin / tylenol thing. He had a fever once before with no other symptoms. But it was only 101. I have been giving him motrin / tylenol since last night. Last night was only 101.5 though. I was not ontop of it today. I gave him some at 6:30 am , he was fine all morning playing and watching tv. I was feeling his head and he was ok. Around 12 he started crying and I felt him he was burning up. He has no other symptoms. He had loose stool yesterday.
    luvme110699

Answer by luvme110699 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I once asked my pediatrician the same question. her response was that the numbers themselves weren't really the issue. It was how the child was behaving overall that determined whether you needed to do anything. As long as he's eating and drinking and behaving fairly normally, you don't need to do anything. You treat the fever if it's bothering the child (i.e. not sleeping well). The doctor typically doesn't need to see the child unless he's very lethargic or otherwise miserable.. Good luck! I hope it clears fast!
    Anonymous

• I was recommended to bring my son in to the e.r. at 103...I would just take him in.Better safe than sorry. Thats high.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My 17mo son just went through the same thing. He had a fever of 103+ and the doctor said to give him tylenol and as long as he was eating/drinking and wasn't vomiting or had "extreme" diarrhea that he would be fine. So I would say if your son starts acting differently, pull son his ears or will not eat or drink take him to hte doctor.

colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 2:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• way to a different hospital that had a ped. unit in it. I have never been so scared in my life and once we got there they immediatly took all his clothes off him gave him an iv and then the worst part of it all is they had to stick a catheder up his weewee. He screamed so loud that it sounded like he was dying but they had to do it to find out what was going on with him. Then they rushed him to have a x ray done and after being there all night and all morning we found out that he had not only an ear infection but he had phemonia!!!! This is not something you want to play around with so I suggest you take that baby to the er right now. I really hope he gets better soon. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thank you all for your advice. He woke up from his nap with 101. If it goes back to 103. I am taking him in. He is watching a movie now and quitely playing with his train table. He asked for applesauce so I am happy.
    luvme110699

Answer by luvme110699 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2009