10 day old seems to cough/gag...

this happens at random times, not just after feeding or anything, but maybe 3 times per day she will do this sort of hacking cough 3 or so times and sometimes look like she's sort of gagging on something. She is a really good baby - eats well and doesn't fuss too much - which I am not sure would be the case if she had acid reflux or something........anyone have any ideas? She sees her doctor on Monday but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this....it's probably nothing but I am a nervous wreck with my first baby! :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds normal hun. My son diod that and the Dr said it was probably from saliva building up in his nmouth and him forgetting to swollow regularly. Should go away as his reflexes define a bit more. But you are right, doesnt sound like reflus, or anything like that. Just keep an eye out and remember to mention it to the Dr so he can ease your fears a bit more.
    Anonymous

• I would guess he's choking a little on some spit up or like the pp said maybe just some saliva
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I do not want to alarm you at all, but you should definitely keep your eye on this. Watch for any patterns and keep your eye on her growth. My baby did this a lot. He was born at 9 pounds, 4 ounces and thrived for the first 7 weeks. Suddenly his weight dropped very quickly. He lost over 2 pounds and was diagnosed as failure to thrive. 2 weeks in the hospital and every test known to man found acid reflux AND that he aspirated a little with each reflux. He never fussed. Never cried. Everything happened so fast that when we caught it, the situation was literally life or death and he was touch and go for about 9 days (though his case became complicated after contracting RSV there in the hospital). He went into kidney failure, had pneumonia and was on oxygen...I'm not saying this is common or the case with your baby at all. I'm just saying, keep your eye on it because it can happen with so little warning.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My son is now 5 months and he used to do that when he was real young, it would scare the crap out of me but the dr said it was probably just saliva.He hasn't done it in a long time but i would ask your doctor just in case.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• babies cough, its wierd. But mention it to the doc. She may have reflux but I bet its nothing.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009