weaning engorgement...?

ok so i had been BF my baby for seven months. prior to a few days ago, she always refused a bottle, and now wont take to breast at all. how long will i be engorged and how long will it take to get my menstruation back? my wedding is in a month and am really hoping to either have it come and gone by then, or not have it for a few months....help!!

MamaMinpy

Asked by MamaMinpy at 1:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• sounds like she is on a nursing strike to me.   If you engorge too much you may end up with a clogged duct or a mastis.  Personally I would pump.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• ouch! i quit cold turkey after breast feeding my baby and ouch! lol. i thought it would dry up on like 3 days,,boy was i wrong,lol. it took almost 3 weeks! and it hurt and it sucked,lol. i did pump a little now and then..was afraid of the clogged ducts.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• well i had been working on weaning her over the last month and a half or so, and we were down to two feedings in a day. and i was constantly offering a bottle in an attempt to get her on it. but she just jumped to it and my production was as high as it could be, but its not down to nothing either. i wanted to be weaned by the wedding but then counted on getting my period right away, and of course....thats not how it works...
    MamaMinpy

Answer by MamaMinpy at 2:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Since you were down to two feedings a day, it shouldn't be that bad. I was down to 2-3 pumpings a day when I decided to stop, and my engorgement only lasted 2-3 days, but I still leaked here and there for a couple weeks. Make sure you wear tight bras, no room for movement so that nothing is rubbing your nipples stimulating milk production. Use your hand, not a pump, to let off only the worst pressure so you don't get an infection, and good luck to you!

Oh, and there is no telling when you will get your period. I had mine all through breastfeeding, so I can't help you there.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would pump if I were you. Just pump enough to relieve the engorgement.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You might want to take a pregnancy test...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2009