Do your kids constantly change what they like and don't like to eat?

I find this SO annoying. With 7 kids in the house, of course some of them like one thing, some don't, but I was getting it down pretty good! But my 7 yo is THE WORST!! I have never seen a kid change what he likes from one day to the next. A couple months I can see, but I finally find something he seems to like for a while, I'll buy it, and then POOF I get " I don't like that anymore mom!" when he just ate it 2 days before! I don't care really, he eats what I make him eat, and that is that. He can go hungry otherwise. I just can't believe how picky he's gotten.

7mom1977

Asked by 7mom1977 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have 13y/o like that. Nuts, he is. i just don't keep up and he can eat what I fix or don't, I don't really care. There is only two of us. I only make a little at a time and I will eat it if he won't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My 7 year old is the same way. Right now his big hate is mashed potatoes. But last week, he went to town on them. It's just not logical. The rule at our dinner table is you take one bite of a veggie every time its served, with the exception of starchy veggies. With foods I know he truly doesn't like, like tomatoes, he's not made to eat. We all have our likes and dislikes, its understandable. But the love today hate tomorrow mentality is something else.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I try to take into consideration what my kids like, when I plan my meals, but they too change their minds very often. So we have the rule, you eat what I make, or you go hungry. My son likes to walk into the kitchen (he's 5) and say, eww that smells gross, I'm not eating that. Then I calmly tell him, that's fine, you'll just go to bed hungry tonight, because this is all I'm making. Either they will eat it or they wont. As far as snacks go, I usually take them to store, and let them pick out a few things each week, so I know they are getting something they will eat that week. This week my son picked out some cherries. Very expensive, but he has eaten some almost every day, so it's well worth the money in my opinion. Next week he will probably pick something different.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have pampered my daughter for years because it was just her and I, now I am married I have my husband and daughtert then me, then I have 2 step daughters and 1 step son. We have hit a point where they want me to make 4 different meals so they all are satisfied. My husband thinks I shouldn't make them eat something they don't like, but I believe I make it you eat it or not. There is something on the plate that they like. Last weekend I made chzburger (helper meal) All the kids but my daughter said they hated it. ALTHOUGH THEY ALL EAT CHZBURGERS... I made it after arguing with my husband that I wasn't making 4 different thigns. GUESS WHAT they all ate it except for 1 sd, she about puked eating it. IN THAT CASE i made her a hotdog,, if you are going to gag like that I won't make you eat it. But the other 2 kids chowed down like there was no tomorrow. I believe kids should try everything then they can say NO.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• well i have to say, i'd never force him to eat something i know he hates, nor would i do that to any of the kids. but lately it just seems impossible to find something he always likes... except pickles, and a kid cannot live on pickles! he does have to eat what i make regardless, but i really don't ever make a meal that i am already aware of one of the kids (or my hubby) not liking. with my 7yo it's just a game i think.
    7mom1977

Answer by 7mom1977 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Keep making a variety of healthy meals. We have the 3 bite rule: you try 3 bites of everything on your plate, if you don't like you then you get (whole grain) toast with peanutbutter and honey and an apple.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh my gosh YES!!!!!!! Drives me nuts. I make one dinner you don't like it your on your own. I'm not making seven different things. The two older ones are the only ones (17 and 15) that will eat what I make. The only meals they all like are tacos, make your own salad night, pizza night and my Italian meat loaf and a few other lol.
    francesmh

Answer by francesmh at 12:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2009