Do teachers make better parents?

I think so, as an example I would say that most of famous actors have parents who are teachers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was re-reading the posts, it seems to me that another factor might also be amount of training. Sadly preschool teachers aren't required much training at all, in some places as little as 12 units in child development. Also at the upper levels more time is spent on the general subjec, for example math for a math teacher. So they don't get as much time in child development as an elementary ed. teacher might get.

The best teacher/parents I have met are special ed. teachers. I suppose from dealing with kids with so many different levels of achievement and behavior issues and all the complexities of special ed kids, they seem to develop a patience and flexability that I don't see in many parents.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Your example only tells that teachers produce famous people.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It was just an example but I could also say that teachers are better educated to manage difficult behaviors. I can't imagine a teacher with a son or daughter throwing tantrums. OP
    Anonymous

• Heck NO!!!! I worked at a daycare and can tell you it is absolutely not always the case. Most of the teachers kids are horrible and aren't taught a thing. Whew...NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• There are some seriously screwed up people who are famous. I'm not sure what your point is.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Shoot, teachers kids are the fit throwers.
    Anonymous

And you say this based on....?
    Anonymous

• Working at a daycare half populated with teachers kids. And being a substitute teacher at the public school. I did it for many, many years. And anytime you saw the kids at sports function and practices.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so. I've known quite a few teachers that were great teachers, but terrible parents. Sometimes the skills just don't translate to real life, but when they do, well, great things can happen, like in the example you gave. Besides, all parents are teachers, for better or for worse, the child learns from the parents first.
    Anonymous

• well I have more than a few friends who are teachers and no I dont think they make better parents at all....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009