What exactly happends when a guy gets a vesectomy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

• My dh is getting one in aug so I would like to hear the answer to this also.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The procedure of deferentectomy, also known as a vasectomy, is a method of contraception in which the vasa deferentia (Latin plural) are permanently cut, though in some cases it can be reversed. A modern variation, which is also known as a vasectomy even though it does not include cutting the vas, involves injecting an obstructive material into the ductus to block the flow of sperm. In either procedure, active sperm may be still be present in the seminal vesicles for as long as 12 weeks.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• from wikipedia
    Farrahann

• O.K. I'm not a doctor but DH had a vasectomy about 7 years ago. What they do is numb the testicles. They make a tiny incision in the testicle and cut a small section of  the tube that carries the sperm to the penis.  The ends of the tube aresealed so that they can't grow back.  The man is given some pain med, told to rest, ice the area.  In about 2 weeks they are asked to bring in a semen sample to check for sperm.  They are asked to do this 3 times and the couple is advised to use other birth control until after 3 samples are clear of sperm.  Most doctors guarantee no babies if the man follows the instructions. 

My hubby was sore for the first day, but after that he was fine. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• There are different ways of doing it frmo what I understand. While some doctors just snip, others snip AND clamp. Regardless, the men are given good pain meds and it's not as bad as they fear it will be. We went to the Milwaukee zoo the day after my dh had his done and he was fine for all the walking.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My DH plans on doing this after our next child. Is his turn to handle the BC. I think vasectomies are far less invasive than a women having her tubes tied.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I've heard men say the most intimidating part is when they tape their penis to their ..............chest! LOL They really do tape it up, but the person i heard it from said it hurt so bad when they pulled the tape off their chest hair!! LOL
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009