When you roast potatoes in a pan, do you cover them with foil?

I'm making a dish tonight with chicken and potatoes. The recipe says to bake them all together but the chicken ends up being done much sooner than the potatoes. I'm going to give the taters a head start tonight and see how it works out. Should I cover them up in a baking dish or leave them exposed?

Asked by ReneeK3 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I leave them expposed.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I see what you mean. Ordinarily they wouldn't be covered since they need to get nice and brown, but if you want to get them cooking first then you might as well cover them, or microwave them, and then leave them uncovered for the browning.

Answer by Bmat at 2:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If they're cooked together, I'd cover them. Slows cooking a bit for the potatoes, while allowing the chicken to cook through. I don't cover when I'm roasting JUST potatoes.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's so frustrating because the meal is sooo yummy but the potatoes are always hard. Do you think 30 minutes covered in the oven by themselves is enough time to get them softer?

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• If you've done this before with bad results, try experimenting. Chicken breast is usually done within 20-25 minutes, so however long the recipe is, I would subtract the time difference.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Maybe you could parboil the potatoes and eliminate the whole baking ahead of time & to cover or not to cover issue? Just a thought, Good Luck, it sounds yummy.

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would do it uncovered, I like the browning. I actually would use smaller potatoes.

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Have you tried using hashbrowns in the recipe? Or slicing the potatoes really thin? I always cook my potatoes before adding meat----I am the worst at cooking potatoes!

Answer by romanceparty4u at 7:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009