Can daydreaming too much be a symptom of an underlying mental illness?

I think I daydream too much. Most of the time I don't realize of fallen into a daydream. Is daydreaming just a normal thing the brain does? Or is it a sign of something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

• I daydream all the time and I see no harm in it! It's like your own little utopia =)

If it becomes a problem to where you can't function or can't pay attention then I'd talk to the doctor. It shouldn't be interferring to the point that you can't focus on a task or watch your kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• OP. It usually happens when I'm doing a chore like cleaning, but I'm not aware of starting to daydream my mind just wanders off.
    Anonymous

• I daydream when there is nothing going on to hold my attention, when I'm bored. If it ever does come to the point that you miss out on something you need to pay attention to, if you feel drowzy and lack energy and so drift off, then get checked out.

Answer by Bmat at 2:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• You may have ADD/ADHD. http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I have inattentive ADD and I have ALWAYS daydreamed when I am bored (which is often because everything makes me bored lol).
    Melby1980

Answer by Melby1980 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Well, I do that too and what I sense about myself (and myself only)is that its generally coping mechanism. I find that its my minds way of escaping from reality. I think because I daydream about things that arent there or real. I might daydream about a certain scenario or what I want to happen or what I am afraid of happening. Make sense? Thats what bothers me about my zoning out. I notice that as I get older, its harder to maintain my brain to the here and now, especially if I am alone. I just zone out. I work at it though. Thats my experience...Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2009