how can i get my 2-year old to use the toilet?

my daughter is 28 months old. i've been trying to potty train her since she first turned two i even bought her a 'dora the explorer'(its her favorite character) toilet seat. she brings me a diaper when she needs to be changed and she also speaks and listens very well. why wont she tell me when she has to go? whats the best way to get her to use the toilet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My name is Alicia Im married i have 2 daughters. Im a educational consultant for discovery toys. We sell a book called the potty train my daughter loved it i read it all the time now she is 3 is fully potty trained.
    www.discoverytoyslink.com/AliciaGoldstein
    aliciag7872

Answer by aliciag7872 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Knowing you have gone and knowing you have to go are two different things.
    And many, many kids won't tell you they have to go - or they will tell you in the first weeks and then stop telling you. That's why you should never rely on a toddler or preschooler telling you.

You need to simply take her often until she gets the idea. Then you need to make sure she gets the chance to go at least every 2 hours. That means you need to keep track of when she does go, the time, and watch her for signs that she needs to go but is putting it off. "I forgot" accidents are common for YEARS. It's up to you to help her remember and stop playing before it's too late.

Don't ask her if she has to go - she'll say NO even while holding herself. Don't wait for her to tell you - she'll put it off until it's too late. Simply tell her it's time to try.

Remember - she may speak well but she doesn't THINK like an adult.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009