question about herpes, tmi i'm sorry

I'm ashamed to even mention this but I need some answers and I'm not comfortable talking to anyone about it in person. Please be nice about it, I really don't need bashing.

Alright, so my ex boyfriend, my first love and first everything...gave me herpes. I always thought that herpes was something only people who sleep around get but after having sex with ONE person whom i thought i was "in love with" I contracted it.

Anyway...I've never had an outbreak to my knowledge and I was diagnosed years ago. But now I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I don't know because so many things are going on with my body that I cannot explain. Well sometimes after intercourse with my fiance I get swelling and pain down there, almost like i have a cut on my labia or inside and it burns...could this be an outbreak or is this something else?

I need to know if I'm having outbreaks or not because if I am I need medication but I don't know..can anyone help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are your concerns that you might pass it on to the baby during delivery, or that you need medications for an outbreak and you can't take it because you are pregnant?
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• it sounds like you are having an outbreak... the first time I ever got them that's how it felt! They say to keep them dry and pop them... it's REALLY REALLY gross i know. Even with meds it takes like 2 weeks before that goes away. That's how it feels for me, I was also told when i start itching that could be a sign of an outbreak and the burning usually means there are already sores... just keep it dry (even tho it feels better when they are wet).
    i absolutely hate having this but not much we can do! I did some research on the webmd sight to figure out more about this and it SOUNDS like they are trying to find a cure.... that would be GREAT! I hope this helps!! gl
    Anonymous

• Its hard to say, because I had a "raw" sensation a lot after sex when pregnant, it felt like what you have described, and i don't have herpes.

I would say that even though to date you have not had an outbreak, stress can bring forth lots of random things, and that you very well might have one (if not now, sometime during your pregnancy).

You HAVE told your fiancee, right? Because you can still pass it on even if you don't have an outbreak...

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but at your next doctors appointment I would ask them to check you out. This is something they need to know anyways, so that when it is time to have the baby they can advise you on what is best for the child (in the event of an outbreak at the time of labor they will likely preform a c-section for the safety of the child).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I dont really know much about herpes but I would research it on the internet and definetely talk to your OB about it. I think it could affect the baby during delivery. The painful burning sensation during sex is NOT normal. I actually found sex more pleasurable during pregnancy because everything gets so swollen down there. Don't be embarrassed to speak to your doctor, they have seen and heard it all. And of course theywill know which meds if any you can take while pregnant. Good Luck.
    jenree

Answer by jenree at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant. It would be itchy and then a sore would come. The docrot had me take acyclovir to keep an outbreak from coming on and I delivered my boy vaginally with no transfer to him at all. Good Luck, hope that helped
    KellyBelly89

Answer by KellyBelly89 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• when i was pregnant the same thing happened to me but i dont have herepes so i asked my doc about it and she said it was normal swelling is normal down there and everywhere for that matter when you are pregnant... just be sure to talk to a doctor so that you dont pass it to the baby
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Thats sounds like an outbreak to me but let me tell you something... I have herpes too and I have found NO DIFFERENCE in the length of an outbreak between when I take the meds and when I dont. So if you dont go on the meds, it really doesnt matter. HOWEVER... you should not have a vaginal delivery if you have an outbreak. I know you arent near delivering now but towards the end of your pregnancy you should definitely see your doctor if you think you have an outbreak
    Anonymous

• when i was pregnant i got a uti..and it felt like i was cut...said it just happened cause my ph levles were off
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• okay 1st off let me say DO NOT POP the bumps if you get them. it makes it hurt worse. don't even touch them with your fingers you can make it worse and spread germs..
    2nd , you really need to be clear with your doctor about everything. tell him . he hears it all the time. and don't be embarrassed he won't judge you but guide you in the right direction.
    I am 35.5 weeks pregnant and i also have herpes, I am taking valtrex so i don't have an outbreak during delivery. If you are experiencing an outbreak, DONT have sex till it goes away. you could make matters worse, and give it to your man.

Best advice.
    Go to the doc.
    Anonymous

• You have to deal with it while ur prego unless you want the medication to be passed onto the baby.  Also many prego ppl with herpes try to do c-section to lessen the risk of passing it on

Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2009