When to pump

Ok so Im going to BF but will have to go back to work 6 weeks after baby. When is it a good time for me to start to pump or how should I go about doing the feeding ans stuff?

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honey I work at a body shop and I am one of two women that work here And there are 21 men. I pumper in my car every 2 hours. You just tell them straight up whatyou have to do and for the most part people are fine. And don't feel bad about the formula. If you have it and never have to use it great. Some womens produce more then enough. If you need it you have it and alls good. I did forget to tell you about the pads though. They are a must. It will happen to you just like this- you will be standing there talking to a client and its 2 minutes past pumping/feeding time. You are trying to get out of there but its not working. All of a sudden you will feel the tingle and let down and swoooooooosh.Two nice big wet stains on the front of your shirt. Treat em like your undies. Don't leave home with out them and keep extras in your bag.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I would start pumping prior to going back to work so that #1 you have some milk stocked up for baby and #2 baby gets used to drinking off of a bottle. Maybe a week prior? Remember you can freeze your milk too, so don't be afraid of pumping too much.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• pump whenever you can. if the baby is done eating, and you don't feel that he/she emptied your breast, pump. if it doesn't fill the bottle (generally 4 oz.) you can always stick it in the fridge and pump later until the bottle is full. breast milk is good for up to 8 days in the fridge, and up to like 6 months i think it is in the freezer. and remember, the more you pump/nurse = more milk production! like CarolynBarnett said, don't be afraid of pumping too much! good luck to you hun!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Okay so feed and then try to pump after baby ate from both breasts? So then once I get a bottle full I can freeze it so I have a good supply going on? Sorry this is all new to me and seems like such a hassel but I really want to do it.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Yep, you're right. You can buy plastic bags made specifically to hold breast milk. Some pumps will even let you pump directly into the bag. Seal the bag and put a date on it and stick it in the fridge. I would start pumping immediately. You can never store to much you and you won't feel pressured once you have to go back to work. Plus it's a pain in the butt at first so you'll need time to adjust. Don't give up!
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Im not sure what your asking so I will answer both questions and hopefully one is right! The above poster is correct. Youll want you baby to take a bottle comfortably before you go back to work. I have 5 children and breast fed 3. I went back to work at 6 weeks with all of them too. I started pumping for bottles at 3 weeks. I used Playtex nursing bottles/bags and a dual breast electric pump ( fell a little like a cow pumping wurrr wur) you'll understand when you start lol. An electric pump is a lot more $ but you get more milk and if your like me you have to pump in your car, (use batteries or the adapter) and hand pumping for 30-45 mins switching boobs vs hooking both up to the beast and be done in 10 its worth the extra ching. I pumped around20 oz a day at first and pumped every 2 hours. Try and keep it as close to your babys feeding schedule as you can. You may have mix ur milk with formula too but thatsok.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Always nurse as often as you can. When you're early postpartum, you make more than enough milk for about 4-6 weeks until your supply establishes itself and makes just what baby need by using supply and demand. Take advantage of that from the beginning. When your baby nurses one side, it makes the other wanna let down, so pump it while s/he eats. Then alternate. Use warm compresses to help get all the milk out you can -a pump isn't as effective as a baby. You can also get breast shells. They're like small cups you put over your breast and since leaking is so common and heavy in the newborn stage, the shells will catch it and you can save it. Just be sure to change them VERY frequently. Anything you make in a day can be stored or frozen in one container. When you do go back to work, you can use herbal supplements to help you keep up if you need. Get wide slow flow bottle nipples to avoid nipple confusion. Try breastflo.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• So do I need to have some formula around just incase I dont have enough or he runs out at the sitters house. And what do I do if my work is not real understanding. I work for a lawfirm. Tow attorneys and an office manager which is a witch at times. And me. And one sub person for when Im gone. Im afraid they will freak out on me.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Legally, all employers have to allow pumping mothers a clean place and breaks to pump. You probably won't need formula (avoid that stuff at all costs) if you do everything right unless your body just doesn't respond well to the pump. There are ways to make pumping more efficient. Just start now and remember supply goes by demand. Nurse right before you go to work and when you get back. Pump every chance you get. You can even pump hands free!

http://www.simplewishes.com/simplewishes/product/product.html
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I think you definitely need to send some formula to daycare as a backup, just in case. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2009