At what age do children usually get braces?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I had one son that got his on at the age of 8 to correct a permanent tooth that was growing in crooked and blocking another adult tooth. Another son got them at the age of 18 when his wisdom teeth came in and crammed everything else crooked. He's now 20 and will hopefully be getting them off next month. I think the age varies with the needs of the child and the problem that is diagnosed.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Usually when all the permanent teeth come in completely. That age varies.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• When they have their permanents. But, my son had to get some on his upper front four teeth at 10 because they were behind the bottom ones and she thought he might break them if he fell while playing sports. He will still need them later on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Mine goes for her 1st appt on the 26th. She is 11 & doesn't have all her perm teeth. She has a joint issue that they are also trying to correct though. If its just to straighten teeth, I'd say they prob do wait until all perm teeth are in.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It varies; my was 12; they are coming off just before she turns 14.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Anywhere from 9 years on up. All permanent teeth do not have to be in for braces to be put on. I had braces in 6th grade and still had baby teeth. I was 11 and had them off at 14. It all depends on the amount of treatment needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• it varies...could be elementary school age and up....best thing to do is to take your child to the orthodontist for a consult and they will layout a plan catered to your child
    MEIGHANJ

Answer by MEIGHANJ at 11:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009