how long do you think people should wait between having children?

How long do you think a women should wait for her health and other circumstances between having children? I have heard health wise 1 yr but does neone feel you should wait longer for your other childs or childrens sake?

alaskaarmywife

Asked by alaskaarmywife at 2:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I think its every persons personal decision. My husband and I decided when our son was 6 months old we would quit being careful and let nature takes it course. Its now 2 years later and we still don't have a 2nd child. I believe its because our son needs our attention right now, he has Down syndrome and that little bit of extra attention he gets from us is so helpful in his development!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's not my business or choice.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• For optimal health a woman should wait 2 years between pregnancies.

Now, my personal preference is 2-3 years difference between children. Due to my schooling I will be going off of birth control when my daughter is 2 1/2.

But in all reality, it is none of my business how long people wait. Sh*t happens and I am not one to judge someone just because they got pregnant sooner than I thought they should.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I always hate this question because it never fails to invite people to be impolite and self-righteous. It also never fails to invite people to start bashing women for having children later in life, or women who have "too many" children. None of these things is really anyone else's business and should be left up to every individual or couple. There are benefits to waiting longer, and there are benefits to keeping your children closer in age. I am an oldest sibling, with one sister close to me in age and 2 sisters much younger. My first and second were 22 months apart, and my second and third are 4 1/2 years apart. My daughters are very close to each other, but I found it very challenging to have them so close in age, so I waited for #3, and I am glad of that, but I think it is entirely up to a couple to decide what is right for their own family.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• My mother says 2 years.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I waited 5 years, but I am so amazed by women who have them back to back. I admire those ladies so much! I couldn't do it! I HAD to wait five there's no way I could be changing ones diaper and potty training another. I also liked waiting five years so I could my body back and then I stretched it out again and now I'm getting it back lol But I'm only having two obviously this wouldn't work if you wanted like 5 kids or whatever! =) Go for it have kids whenever!
    MariahD

Answer by MariahD at 6:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I always felt that it should be at least two years just to make it easier on mommy and the other baby. At two years the first baby is starting to be potty trained if they aren't already and should be almost bottle broke and eating regular foods. That is just my opinion tho.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009