Very serious (albeit gross) question

I have been having stomach issues for over a week now. My stomach has been gurgling like crazy, have had bad gas, diarrhea, etc. The few times I went #2 yesterday, there was a tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper. I didn't think too much of it, figured since Ive been going a lot I just made it raw. Well today when I went, when I wiped, there was A LOT of maroon blood. It I looked in the toilet and the water was solid red and there were several noticable blood clots. Because of other issues I have, I take A LOT of ibuprofen. Like 6-7 at a time, 4-5 times a day, sometimes more. I have no insurance, and am way too broke to afford a hospital bill. I do not want to go to the hospital...especially considering how embarassing such a problem would be. Are these symptoms likely to be related to a simple hemmorhoid? Could it be from the ibuprofen? Would this honestly be serious enough to warrant an ER visit? Thanks, and be gentle...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2009 in Health

• This "embarrassing" problem could kill you.

I see people at least once a week come into the ER for a G.I. bleed, a couple have died because they waited too long, and the vast majority of them end up needing a transfusion of at least 1 unit of blood because they have been bleeding out and ignoring the same signs that you are having now.

Since this is not bright red blood it is not from a hemorrhoid, and since you are passing clots you NEED to go into the ER. Please...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I can't agree more with what the above poster said. As an RN by profession, I am urgently urging you to go to the ER ASAP. With that much motrin/ibuprofen that you are taking(and it is A LOT), you most likely have a G.I. (gastrointestinal) bleed and it can be life threatening. so please go, you can not put a monetary value on your life. Your family needs you. Please keep us updated on your story
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 2:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• Oh my! I sure hope you've already left for the hospital! Maybe you'll qualify for Medicaid. Even if you don't, PLEASE go NOW! This could be your life we're talking about!

I, too, would like for you to update us on this one. You're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Armywife218

Answer by Armywife218 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• As with the other posters, you need to get to the hospital immediately.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2009

• It's the day after you posted so it's likely that you already went to the hospital, I just wanted to let you know that if you call the billing department they will help you set up payments. My family racked up thousands upon thousands of hospital bills recently and I'm paying them off little by little every month. Don't let the bill scare you away from health care.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 2:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009